CCI Tests in 6ppc

1967spud

Just had a mate from the states email this to me, i thought it might be of interest to anybody shooting that calibre.

Primer tests in 6PPC

The purpose of these tests is to try to eliminate all outside interference and change only the primers. This is to see if there is any distinct and identifiable difference in different manufacturers small rifle primers.

The test rifle is the Boyer gun. Hall #130 action right bolt right port with extractor but no ejector. Currently shooting Spencer LV barrel #5. Powder used was surplus IMR 8208. Lapua 220 Russian brass was used. The chronograph used was my Pact. It was set up at the first sky screen 8 feet from the rifle muzzle. The chronograph does all the calculations. I wrote down and verified all the numbers and calculations on a hand calculator. The bullets were our Johnson Precision 65 grain 6mm. The bullets were seated leaving a square mark on the bullet from touching the rifling lands.

Because of weather the shooting was done over a 2 day time period. The time of day was chosen to be later in the evening so as to out wait any wind. 5 different attempts were made for the tests. The most successful times and conditions were on 09-JUN and 16-JUN-2003. All tests were shot at the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association. Targets were shot at the "benchrest range" at the 100 yard distance. 3 Smiley Hensley wind flags were set up for the appropriate shooting lane. Wind flags were set up at ranges of approximately 30, 50 & 80 yards. No shots were taken when the tails on the windflags indicated a more than 45 degree angle from slack vertical, and all flags pointing in the same direction. Groups were 5 shot groups. No limit was placed on the number of fouling shots or sighter shots. No time limit was initiated. Groups were fired as fast as less than 1 minute. But yielding to conditions was the reason 1 group took almost 30 minutes. Targets were the 100 yard practice targets bought from Jim Kelbly at the Super Shoot. It has 9 target centers on top and the same on the bottom. 6 groups were fired but the largest group was discarded from each test and only the 5 smallest groups were used for the testing. Groups were measured with a Neil Jones measuring device across the long axis of the groups.

The barrel was cleaned every 10 to 15 shots. Usually after 2 complete groups. The bore solvent used to clean with was Shooter's Choice. At the end of the day the barrel was scrubbed with J-B paste applied on a black nylon brush. Then the barrel was cleaned with Shooter's Choice and clean cotton patches until clean. Both muzzle end and chamber was bore scoped before the rifle was retired for the day. A patch with 3 drops of light oil, ( 0 – 5 viscosity oil used for air tools) was passed through the barrel before casing. The trigger was removed and cleaned with chemical naphtha. Then it was blown dry with canned air and replaced back in the hanger bracket.

First test was on 09-JUN-2003. The test was with the only thing being different was old lot Fed GM205 primers. Information is as follows:

Average velocity: 3444 fps

Average Deviation: 14.2

Standard Deviation: 19.1

5 group aggregate: .182"

Second test was also on 09-JUN-2003. The test was with the only thing being different was Winchester blue box WSR primers.

Average velocity: 3476 fps

Average Deviation: 11.5

Standard Deviation: 14.0

5 group aggregate: .166"

The third test was done on 16-JUN-2003. The test was with the only thing being different was new lot Fed GM 205 primers.

Average velocity: 3474 fps

Average Deviation: 13.0

Standard Deviation: 16.3

5 group aggregate: .1948"

The fourth and final test was also done on 16-JUN-2003. The test was with the only thing being different was the use of Russian IDT No Heavy Metal (Green Box) copper primers.

Average velocity: 3446 fps

<h2 style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">Average Deviation: 9.5</h2> Standard Deviation: 11.9

5 group aggregate: .1328"

As far as group size the primers finished in this order:

Russian IDT No Heavy Metal (Green Box) .1328"

Winchester blue box WSR primers .166"

Old lot Fed GM205 primers .182"

New lot Fed GM 205 primers .1948"

These are the finding as best as I could separate and calculate them.

Victor Johnson

Very interesting!!!

Thanks for sharing that Mark!!!!! ;) ;)

All the best..............

RAY.....................................

Interesting test, that tells me, do we really need to be so fussy about which primers we use.

Bearing in mind that the rifle belongs to probably the greatest ever BR shooter it aint gonna be a plank so a variation of .062" from the smallest group to the largest in such an accurate rifle will have absolutely no bearing on how primers perform in hunting rifles in the field.

This has given me a different veiw on what primers to use and in these times of primer shortage i will be digging out all those odds and sods of primers to try other then my usual Federal Match.

Ian.

Interesting test, that tells me, do we really need to be so fussy about which primers we use.

Bearing in mind that the rifle belongs to probably the greatest ever BR shooter it aint gonna be a plank so a variation of .062" from the smallest group to the largest in such an accurate rifle will have absolutely no bearing on how primers perform in hunting rifles in the field.

This has given me a different veiw on what primers to use and in these times of primer shortage i will be digging out all those odds and sods of primers to try other then my usual Federal Match.

Ian.

i only met victer a week or so a go , is he reallly a bench rest shooting god omg ;);););)

Those Russian primers were sold here as PMC brand I think. Small rifle ones are no longer imported but another member here reports single digit ES when he got hold of some a while ago. In one group of 5 he sent me a copy of the print out, 3 were exactly the same velocity, exactly.

For what most of us want the normal Fed 205s, BR4s etc are more than good enough. We dont have the skills to make the most of the difference.

A

Hi Spud,

I am refferring to the term "the Boyer gun" Tony Boyer being the current or previous owner and probably the greatest BR shooter ever.

Ian.

;)

Archived