I understand that it’s almost a copy of the 7mm Blaser Magnum but with that mass marketing touch by Hornady. If comparable, my 7BM was pushing 3,200fps with JLK VLD 180 grain bullets yesterday, measured with my new JIT-delivered Garmin Xero Pro (great piece of kit BTW).

For moderate ELR work, hitting gongs fairly reliably at 1550m is confirmed, but the JLKs and 180 grain Berger Hybrids arrive just above transsonic. You could check the ballistics with a faster twist (7.5 or 8” versus 9”) and the Berger LR Hybrids in 184 or 190 grain at the intended ranges.  

Things always start ' Modest ' and want always wants more .... I have always understood the 7mm and felt i could work with it for ELR so i built a 7mm Norma Mag which would push any of the heavy 7mm bullets over 3,300 ft/sec .... If you get fed up with the modest part and get sucked into the ELR the first thing you'll find out is that there isn't any point of having wonderful ballistics if you can't see the bullet hit the ground ! Go with the heaviest bullet you can and if it means going 30 cal or 338 then do it  IMHO

OSOK

I've read a fair bit into what's current in ELR, and no doubt the further you dip your toes in, it seems the cold shock of going in to your middle involves a lot of money and recoil. The recoil I could learn to manage, the money not so, or at least not without it becoming my sole obsession. 

Looking at the figures of a 184 Hybrid doing 3k, it's apparent that whilst offering a benefit over my straight 284, the gains are modest, just enough to be a bit more predictable at a mile, and that's kind of where I see my current goal.

I was hoping to hear if anyone was already pushing chamber dimensions, freebore etc beyond the SAMMI spec for running the 190s, pros and cons thereof.

This will be an interim build, based on a T3 winmag action. If, god forbid, I catch the bug fully, then I'd be looking to sell kidneys, kids etc....

7/300 WSM if you want to go 7mm

This cartridge has provenance in F Class to World Championship level and will get to a mile easily 

Though as Greg points out - spotting misses will be “problematic”

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

7/300 WSM if you want to go 7mm

This cartridge has provenance in F Class to World Championship level and will get to a mile easily 

Though as Greg points out - spotting misses will be “problematic”

Heavier gun ?

A straightforward enough necking down of 300wsm brass ? I did notice Lapua were to be producing 300wsm brass as of this year.

3 minutes ago, Malxwal said:

Heavier gun ?

A straightforward enough necking down of 300wsm brass ? I did notice Lapua were to be producing 300wsm brass as of this year.

I would keep the gun with optic and bipod under the 26 lbs point ... If 7mm is your chosen then like Andy says the 7mm / 270wsm or 7mm / 300wsm is proven and not just the latest craze ... I always found necking up 270 brass was easier than sizing down and the extra neck length never gave me an advantage in my tests .