info wanted crow trap

JMS Arms

hi all

I am fed up with the crows taking the ducklings every year. With in a few days of the hatch they pick them off one by one. if you go to window or even think gun they are gone. so its time to build a ladder trap. I am sure I have seen some plans on this website.

Any info would be helpful and has anybody used one and had any good results?

Julian

A MATE had 245 rooks in one yesterday and since last weekend has had nealy 600 rooks

cant find a cutting list anywhere for you accept there is meant to be one inthe game consevancy range of booklets

http://www.crowbusters.com/crowtrap.htm

There are a ton of plans for Ladder traps online on various sites. Use the power of Google :lol:

They're also known as "Letterbox traps" and "Australian Crow Traps". I've made one myself to catch grey crows (hoodies) and it does work. Although a modified Larsen trap with call bird worked better for that species and is easier to handle.

What bird exactly are you trying to catch? As people call different things "crows".

PM inbound also ;)

http://www.crowbusters.com/crowtrap.htm

There are a ton of plans for Ladder traps online on various sites. Use the power of Google :lol:

They're also known as "Letterbox traps" and "Australian Crow Traps". I've made one myself to catch grey crows (hoodies) and it does work. Although a modified Larsen trap with call bird worked better for that species and is easier to handle.

What bird exactly are you trying to catch? As people call different things "crows".

PM inbound also ;)

hi

thanks for the info.

a bit of every thing hoodies, jacks, carrion but not many rooks.

its probably the carrion doing the damage though.

julian

Jackdaws can climb as far as I know, unlike other carrion species. I know I've had Jackdaws escape from wire mesh (commercially made) Larsens, as the spring wasn't strong enough to close the door fully after it had been left set for a time. They may also be able to get out of a Ladder trap, keep that in mind and again I would Google it and research here and on other forums asking expierenced people. Oh yes, one book worth buying (wrote by a guy I know from another site is "Trap making step by step".

We don't have carrion crows here so I can't really speak about them. We do have a surplus of Hoodies though...

SL380450.jpg

09052009001.jpg

13052009001.jpg

01052009004.jpg

The plans for the wooden Larsen are available on one of the sites I PM'd you. But, I will be making any more out of weldmesh as it's stronger yet lighter. I've found chicken wire isn't strong enough for hoodies, some manage to break links in it and escape. Cat's will also be a problem and they can definately break it so weld mesh is the way forward, a 6 foot by 4 foot 2mil thick 1inch by 1 inch mesh costs 22 Euro a sheet over here. Springs can be got of the site above or Ebay.

In these traps we've caught 60 hoodies since the beginning of May this year. If you want any more info that's no problem.

Another trap, it's in the book I mention above, is called a funnel trap.

Yet another variation uses half funnels set at ground level. This works by the bird walking into the trap, but as he walks into the funnel he's forced to stoop down, if you can picture that you know how it works. They can't find their way out and you could also incorporate a ladder in the top of that trap.

Trapping is an addiction ;)

I'm not sure about carrion crows, but for greycrows if you can get hold of a carcass? Meat bait works well for them. A plastic decoy crow in the trap might help.

Just browsing my Photobucket account and found these.

CROWTRAP3.jpg

crowtrap2.gif

crowtrap1.gif

AmericanCrows_img_2.jpg

bird_trap_in_tokyo.jpg

Spud,

If you can work out how I can get one to you, problems could be with squashing it, it smelling etc? I don't mind getting one to you. But, there could be people trapping closer to you too? What little I know of taxidermy the remains need to be dealt with quickly?

Spud,

our taxidermist in Kerry might be able to fix one for you. He pots them as well, so he'll have a fresh one eh.

If your interested I could pass on his details.

edi

yes pleasae, just see how much he wants first

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at making one of these. Could a user tell me how you dispose of the corvids after they are caught, I have seen a lot caught in a trap.

What do you do go into the cage with a good pair of gloves and wring their necks?

Thats the only way I can see.

Do they go for you at all or do they cower in the corner?

Archived