Barrel length ??

I could do with a bit of advice on barrel length,

the rifle will be chamberd in 6x47 lapua with a 1-8 twist barrel so i can go upto 105-107gn

it is a 30" varmint contour blank at the moment, but i am not sure what length to have it finished at,

the main use will be varminting/stalking out to 500yds (not stalking at 500yds),

i am leaning towards a 24" finish over a 26" to cut down on weight,

but what will i loose on velocity going to 24" ?? about 60fps i think??

it will also be fitted with a wildcat mod

any ideas will be appreciated

john.

I had same problem with my build ended going for as lon as poss to keep velocitites up

Check the weights of moderators, the difference could be 2" barrel.

edi

how do do mean mate?

how do do mean mate?

I don't know the weights of all moderators, but there could be up to 200grams difference between makes.

I've put a a-tec modular on my 308 which is quite light at 470 grams. Maybe there is an even lighter model

available. Save weight on mody and invest the weight in the barrel.

A couple new makes of moderators to be launched on the market soon, no wonder at those prices.

edi

Dasherman finnished my 6x47 a few months ago. He finished it at 28". I use the rifle for long range vermin control and it has been very competitive when I have shot F class with her, the first time out running 105 Berger VLD's I managed a second place with a score of 177 ex 180.

I,m glad I opted for the longer tube it keeps velocities up with a lighter powder charge than a shorter barrel.

I use a 26" for stalking I personally think you would get away with it.

I would be tempted to keep the barrel as long as possible, after all you can always cut a bit off, but can't add on.

Cheers

Dave

Dasherman finnished my 6x47 a few months ago. He finished it at 28". I use the rifle for long range vermin control and it has been very competitive when I have shot F class with her, the first time out running 105 Berger VLD's I managed a second place with a score of 177 ex 180.

I,m glad I opted for the longer tube it keeps velocities up with a lighter powder charge than a shorter barrel.

I use a 26" for stalking I personally think you would get away with it.

I would be tempted to keep the barrel as long as possible, after all you can always cut a bit off, but can't add on.

Cheers

Dave

thats what dasherman told me and thats why i did long as poss

The only negative to whats been said is if your stalking is that rough yellow grass that gets quite tall, usually the margins around forestry, and your a short arse the barrel can soon pi$$ you off if it keeps getting trapped in the grass if carried in your hands muzzle down. My 308 was 26" and when i fitted the T8 I lopped 2" off the end so as to keep the same oal.

If your stalking is farmland ignore the above and keep the length as long as you can and feel comfortable with.

The only negative to whats been said is if your stalking is that rough yellow grass that gets quite tall, usually the margins around forestry, and your a short arse the barrel can soon pi$ you off if it keeps getting trapped in the grass if carried in your hands muzzle down. My 308 was 26" and when i fitted the T8 I lopped 2" off the end so as to keep the same oal.

If your stalking is farmland ignore the above and keep the length as long as you can and feel comfortable with.

why not carry it muzzle up eldon surely they are safer that way

Spud, mine is muzzle heavy with the heavy barrel and moderator so it sits naturally that way in the hands. Same if I carry it on the sling it sits better muzzle down and also avoids the rain getting in ;)

Not sure why you say it will be safer muzzle up, surely muzzle down is safer and as long as you are aware of where its pointing if there was an ND it would be in the floor?

Muzzle up especially around the 30 degrees has to be a bad option !

In my opinion with the law of averages and all that good stuff. If you discharge the gun muzzle down you can guarantee the round will strike the ground in the immediate vicinity of at least one person. There is potential to shoot your own foot shoot friend in leg shoot dog or any of those 3 hit by ricochet. If discharged in to the air the likely hood of the round hitting some one is very slim particularly in a heavily forested/agricultural area. The best course of action is to handle your rifle safely at all times.

Dave

i did actually mean, you would trip over or drag the muzzle through mud, but i di agree muzzle down is defintly safer with a nd

Archived