Roe Stalking 5-6-09

My mate has been busy of late with other clients after Trophy Roe Bucks and some Muntjac, and with my recent move I haven’t had chance to arrange anything for myself. But now things have settled down for my mate and me we arranged to get out after some yearling Bucks.

The weather has been great and would you believe it the day we arranged to get out the weather changed and it was a cool easterly breeze and cloud cover, but would it put the deer off and would they stay closer to cover for warm.

We headed off to some permission where I shot my very first Roe Buck, a small 4-pointer back in 2004.

The grass was long so we made our way slowly searching for any signs of Roe close to the hedges, we got into the second field when we spotted a Doe (where were they in the Doe season????????), and then another but no bucks. So it was off to our next bit of stalking.

We drove down a track and I spotted two Fallow making their way to a small wood, and then we spotted another Doe???? (OK so where are the Bucks) we waited for a while to see if a Buck would show itself, but nothing, so off to the next bit.

As we crossed a cattle grid we spotted a very nice Buck, and watched him for a bit until he led down, and then we were off again.

Driving down the lane a Doe was bedded down on the side of the lane, but no buck about, when we got to the gateway we spotted a Buck at the end of the field, it was a cull buck but it was making its way into a wood. So now for a plan off action, if we headed off around we may be able to cut him off, so off we set and got round the back of the wood.

As we got to the gateway there were two Bucks, one with a broken antler and a very nice six-pointer, but I wasn’t out for a huge trophy, so the one with the broken antler was my intended target.

I slowly stalked to the gateway, and rested on the gate post, the buck made its way to my left and stopped, but there was a branch hanging down in the way just in front of me, I moved and had a clear shot, my cross-hairs on its chest and it dropped on the spot.

I gralloched it and hung it up on a tree as we were off to see if we could find the yearling buck further down the wood.

We got to the spot where we first spotted him, but nothing, we both scanned with our bins, but not a sign, we had a chat as to what we were going to do next. I looked back up to where the buck was when we first spotted it and I could see a Roe, I signalled to my mate, we looked through our bins and it was a HUGE buck, with thick pedicles which were nearly meeting in the middle, it was only a 5 pointer but a malformed.

My mate said that it was at least a £1000 if I were to shoot it!!!!!

We headed back to the vehicle and off to our next bit of ground, a lot of the fields the crops are tall, and then a mixture of mowed silage fields, but we were struggling to see anything.

We drove into a small field and I spotted a Buck to my left, it was led down facing us, so a bit tricky to assess if it was a cull buck, we reversed back and made our way to get a better look at him, we stopped and he stood up, my mate said that he was indeed a cull buck. The Buck on the other hand had different ideas and made off into a small copse.

So it was off back to the farm, but we would have a look on the way home, we spotted two doe’s and then just spotted a buck before he led down. It was only a quick glimpse so we couldn’t tell if it was a cull buck, and the grass in this field was at least waist height, and every now and a again we got a glimpse of the tops of its antlers, but we needed a closer look or for it to stand up at least. Driving closer the buck got up and again it was a good buck.

It was nice to see some nice bucks, not what I was after, but maybe one day.

106_1645.jpg

106_1646.jpg

106_1647.jpg

Nice one Kip a good start for you on the bucks, a good bit of pearling on that one.

What did he kill out at weight wise?

Cheers

Dave

Not sure Dave but i struggled to get him hung up to drees him............or maybe i getting weaker in my old age :)

(going to get myself some scales)

Guest martin
Not sure Dave but i struggled to get him hung up to drees him............or maybe i getting weaker in my old age :)

(going to get myself some scales)

Or a bullworker Kip..........LOL

Well done on the Buck mate...........Martin.

Archived