S&B Small Rifle Magnum Primers

Stuart55

S&B Small Rifle ‘Magnum’ primers are on the market but not listed (as far as I can see) on the S&B website.

Accepted that where small rifle primers are concerned the term ‘magnum’ normally indicates a thicker cup material than ‘standard’ SR primers (i.e. 0.025” for magnum compared to 0.020-0.022” for standard) - does anyone know if these S&B SR Magnum primers do have the thicker cup?

Or put simply, could they be an alternative to the thick & hard cup CCI 450’s?

• 1 month later...

I've just spent a pleasant half-hour trying to answer your question, having both sorts to hand, plus a tube micrometer.

I'm not able to measure the base of the cup, but the side-walls of both types are 0.0120-0.0125". They appear quite identical to me, apart from the colour of the packing which sits between the compound and the anvil.

8 hours ago, Timbo1963 said:

Laurie Holland is probably the best person to ask.

have a look at his article on small rifle primers in target shooting mag.

https://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?paged=2&cat=58

Thanks for the link, it’s appreciated. I was aware of the article(s) but the ‘magnum’ version of the S&B primer isn’t covered, just standard one, hence my question.

38 minutes ago, Triffid said:

I've just spent a pleasant half-hour trying to answer your question, having both sorts to hand, plus a tube micrometer.

I'm not able to measure the base of the cup, but the side-walls of both types are 0.0120-0.0125". They appear quite identical to me, apart from the colour of the packing which sits between the compound and the anvil.

Thanks for taking the time to check - it’s appreciated. Apart from it not being easy to measure the side wall of the cup (as you’ve found!) the base of a primer cup is typically thicker than the walls (some simplistic illustrations of a sectioned cup notwithstanding) & it’s the base thickness that’s key.

I don’t know for certain but I suspect that the drawing process is controlled to give similar wall thickness’s for both types of cup to allow the use of the same diameter anvil.

Like you I’ve had good results with S&B primers (large rifle) but I have one particular rifle which needs the thicker primer SR cup. I use CCI450’s but I was hoping the S&B SR ‘magnum’ may be an alternative.

Regards

Stuart

Have you considered actually writing to S&B and asking them?   We had very good feedback from CCI in response to an email enquiry.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 18.12.07.png