.243 AI

Guest Sprags

about 5% performance and that wildcat buzz

also less case length trimming due to 40 deg shoulder leading to prolonged case life

bigger bang

An often overlooked reason is pressure.

Ackley partly developed his improved cases to enable shooters to fire top end parent cartridge loads with substancially reduced pressures.

The secondary benefit of this was the ability to utilise extra case capacity and these lower pressures to enhance performance without undue stress on the cartridge case.

Ian.

I suppose it depends if you reload because you won't have any joy with the AI if you don't. :D

I suppose it depends if you reload because you won't have any joy with the AI if you don't. :D

eldon is correct, there is ABSOLUTELY NO POINT having an Ackley unless you handload, although having said that i know of 2 shooters that exclusively use factory ammo in there 243 AI's cos they cant be bothered to reload :D

Ian.

Ian at least when they decide to reload they will have plenty of fire formed cases, assuming they keep them that is.

As others have said though without homeloading you aren't going to gain anything over a standard 243.

Ian at least when they decide to reload they will have plenty of fire formed cases, assuming they keep them that is.

Eldon,

I found out later that the guy i bought my 243 AI off used Sako factory ammo in it and dumped the cases :D:lol:

This guy got through rifles like wildfire through sage brush, and i just happened to be around when he decided to sell it :D

He had heard that the 243 AI was THE cartridge so promptly commisioned Riflecraft to build him one on an accurised Rem 700 action.

On the range I watched this guy feed his new rifle sako ammo and when i enquired why he was not saving the cases he said what for???? I left it at that.

later that afternoon i noticed the very rifle up for sale in the shop, i could not believe it so i asked what was going on and was told that the owner was not happy that his new wonder calibre rifle did not shoot as well as his mates 6mmPPC so he traded it in against a custom 6mmPPC that was on the shelf.

I bought the 243 AI as quick as the previous owner unloaded it and it was a great buy.

Ian

Archived