Best post-REACH powders for 6.5x55 Swedish?

Lashendei

I'm after some points of view on powders for the Swedish M96 and M38. The online consensus is that the actions of these milsurps need to be treated with common sense respect due to the age of components and inherent limits of the small-ring Mauser design. I have reloaded for my Swedish rifles at several times in the past with good results using IMR 4895. I now have new PPU 6.5 brass and 140gn SMK bullets waiting on the shelf, but I'm unclear as to which of the post-REACH powders would be the best choice. Vihtavouri's load data seems to suggest N150 as the optimum for 6.5x55 but some others have suggested N160. As all options are currently very difficult to obtain, I want to be clear what I should be looking for before I go hunting for a tub of unobtainium powder.

• 2 weeks later...

N160 works very well in these rifles with the 140gn SMK. I used 44gn N160 for many years in an M1896 with excellent results. Start at ~41gn and work up. I'm pretty sure N150 will work too. The new N555 is extremely well suited to the cartridge and 140s.

Alliant Re19 and 22 work well, and I'd expect the newish Re23 to as well - but cost and availability?

Lovex S065 and 70 are good powders in this combination. The faster burning Lovex S062 isn't far removed from your original IMR-4895. Lovex's manufacturer Explosia provides data for all three powders in the cartridge with 139/140gn bullets.

I've not tried it in 6.5X55, but Reload Swiss RS62 works superbly in similar applications. There are RS62 data for the 6.5x55/140 SMK on RS UK's website (www.propellants.co.uk)