CCI primers

Laurie

2 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

On the subject of primers, I've often wondered why manufacturers make both "standard", and "magnum" primers.

Magnums have thicker cups, which means that there's less chance of them popping and burning your bolt face.........so why bother with standard?

Pete

All LR primers have same thickness cups (0.027"). The cup differences only apply to SR and the reasons are historic, weak-cup models such as the CCI-400 and Rem 6 1/2 originally intended for the low-pressure .22 Hornet, .218 Bee and similar in less affluent times when many rifles chambered for such cartridges used the small centrefire Martini actions, modified rimfires etc.

Whilst there is no apparent direct relationship between the name and explosive pellet formulation in the SRs, some LRMs have very different ingredients from the standard version (eg Fed 215 vs 210) and are often far more 'aggressive' (greater brisance) to handle very large powders charges, cope with extreme cold conditions, consistently ignite large charges of some ball powder grades.

5 hours ago, Laurie said:

All LR primers have same thickness cups (0.027"). The cup differences only apply to SR and the reasons are historic, weak-cup models such as the CCI-400 and Rem 6 1/2 originally intended for the low-pressure .22 Hornet, .218 Bee and similar in less affluent times when many rifles chambered for such cartridges used the small centrefire Martini actions, modified rimfires etc.

Whilst there is no apparent direct relationship between the name and explosive pellet formulation in the SRs, some LRMs have very different ingredients from the standard version (eg Fed 215 vs 210) and are often far more 'aggressive' (greater brisance) to handle very large powders charges, cope with extreme cold conditions, consistently ignite large charges of some ball powder grades.

I wonder if there's any difference in steel grades between standard and magnum cups ?

So are fed 215. A hotter primer than a fed 210 primer meaning a load that’s perfectly ok would change by using the 215?

I ask as I have both on the shelf I’m using 210s but have the option of using 215 when loading for my 300wsm open rifle the 210s are working ok using RS62 is that a powder that may work better using 215 ? 
some friends of mine are weighing primers having experimented with that. I’m  finding there is a difference in weight.