WHAT YOU THINK?

nemasis243

Well guys with the price of HMR ammo gonna go through the roof , I am thinking of moving to centre fire for my bunny shooting .

I would use a .22 R/F but your looking at 75yrds +.

I think a 22hornet is to much ?

What we got that would fill the void?

cheers Andy

Whats happened to 17hmr ammo? just the general trend of things or they cutting prodution??

22BR if you want to watch the bullet strike the critter, or

22-250 just for the hell of it! haha

Nice concept.

It'd have to be something small and cute. Not much powder so less barrel toasting and less £ on powder.

I'd start with a Hornet case and work out if you want it standard (plenty of nice cheap rifles kicking around) or want to wildcat it to .17 or .20. Might be an idea to work out which bullets you can get cheapest to help make your mind up.

...or...

For the sake of devil's advocacy, .22 WMR?

Andy,

IMHO, the Hornet is as good as any for rabbits. CZ do their 527 American in Hornet. Neat , light package and accurate. Economical to load.

OTOH, you might consider a 17 calibre and, IMHO again, the 17 Rem is as good as any, plenty of go to 200+. Also economical.

Peter

I really like my 17 Rem and bullets are cheap enough and it only uses 22 grs powder for my load.

The 17 hmr is dead in the US so ammo will go dearer still much the same for the Mach4 too, the 17 fireball has taken over, only 17-18grs powder etc. what about the Tac 20 ? nice and flat shooting certainly reach out for those bunnies no problem.

Redfox

Thanks guys for all the replys , the hmr ammo is heading to £15 a box :D down here and I feel that I can reload something small that will give better accuracy for a lot less money?

I have spoken at lengths to PeterL on the phone tonight but am still undecided,

The 17rem is a bit OTT for what I need , I am looking towards an Ackley 17Hornet, but am not sure about case life,

I would need to be getting 5reloads to make it worth my time,

Keep your thoughts comming cheers Andy ;)

Thanks guys for all the replys , the hmr ammo is heading to £15 a box :D down here and I feel that I can reload something small that will give better accuracy for a lot less money?

I have spoken at lengths to PeterL on the phone tonight but am still undecided,

The 17rem is a bit OTT for what I need , I am looking towards an Ackley 17Hornet, but am not sure about case life,

I would need to be getting 5reloads to make it worth my time,

Keep your thoughts comming cheers Andy ;)

hello Andy,i.ve used a 17 ackley hornet for a few years,i get about 7 or 8 reloads out of a case and with only 11.8grns of n120 behind a 20grn vmax i get 3650fps out of a 20'' barrel.if you want to try one out pm me your number and we can sort somthing out.

atb paul

hello Andy,i.ve used a 17 ackley hornet for a few years,i get about 7 or 8 reloads out of a case and with only 11.8grns of n120 behind a 20grn vmax i get 3650fps out of a 20'' barrel.if you want to try one out pm me your number and we can sort somthing out.

atb paul

Another vote for the 17 AH. I'm doing load development, but I just fireformed ~100 the other weekend. Awesome little gun. Just a little bit more crack than a HMR, but not much. Same bullet, but 1000 fps more speed. Can't beat that.

12 grains of powder means 600 reloads to a pound.

Thanks,

Rick

Guest Scotland Rifles

well

being a total hummer lover and i have had 5 now, this one is on close to 3000 rounds my next step would be a 20tac,

easy to reload and fun to shoot ________________________________________________________ ;) flat as you like too

Archived