Magtech 9 1/2 LRP

chaz

I've used CBC's Magtech primers off and on in both rifle and pistol cartridges in both sizes for over 30 years. They work fine, are strong enough in their brass cups to avoid excessive cratering, blanking and suchlike. The 9 1/2 LR isn't an outstanding model for match ammunition, but neither is it the worst choice by far.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=1471

CBC is a major (Brazilian) company in both recreational and military ammunition markets. The USA used to see their stuff much more than us, but Viking Arms has been importing it for as long as I can remember, and that's who still supplies us with Magtech primers as well as cartridges. The primers have always been good value compared to the North American brands, but their biggest problem has been a lack of direct sailings from South America to Europe, and ships' masters have the final say on carrying explosives on any trip. Consignments of primers can therefore sit in a Sao Paolo warehouse for months after leaving the factory gate before they get a ride.

Whilst the 9 1/2 is an OK but not exceptional performer IME, the SR 7 1/2, can be outstanding. I use it in my 'Light Gun' 6BR bench rifle ammunition and have had some excellent 600 yard groups. Its cup is a tad 'soft' compared to say the CCI-450. The late 'Bradders', AR-15 rifle builder and keen CSR competitor was a proponent of this model, sold them through his business Bradley Arms, and used them in his own very successful competition shooting.

Thank-you Laurie. 

That was very useful info. I shoot out to a maximum of around 600 yards generally.

Clearly, getting hold of them could be a bit hit and miss from your information.

I may have found a place that sells my go to primer of Federal Gold match, and I'd need a 1000 small and a 1000 large.

But I'd need to confirm this tomorrow. I don't mind a bit of a drive to keep my reloads as they are, without fiddly adjustments.

Anyhow, thanks for the info, and I'll have a good read of the link you provided. 

Cheers.

Chaz.