.308 choice

Considering the purchase of a new .308 repeater. The rifle will have a dual role as a "novice"/non league F class/target rifle, 300-800m, and as a "heavy static" stalking/varmint rifle using 155-168 A-max.

Initial thoughts were something along the lines of the new RPA Interceptor Repeater, or possibly a custom build based around a Surgeon or even Borden Alpine.

Looking at a 26 inch barrel with a finished rifle only weight of 11-12lb.

I suppose one advantage of the RPA Interceptor would be that it would qualify for the Factory Class events.

Opinions gratefully taken on board.

Thanks

Malt

I have two RPAs in 308 so I thought I'd throw in my 2p worth.

They are more expensive now than when I bought mine and I'm not sure they still represent best value. Good points are massive strength, excellent trigger and the Robertson stocks are beautifully made. Both of mine are built on the AICS system and the magazines work really well. Not so sure about some of the other stock/magazine couplings and you might want to think whether you really need a repeater.

My experience shooting 168g bullets is that they give great accuracy but get blown all over the place after 500 yards or so. The 155g Sierra or Lapua bullets fly flatter and take less wind so a 1:12 or 1:13 twist barrel or thereabouts seems right for your purpose.

They're great rifles.

Cornishman.

PS - some of the other Cornish boys have been shooting Parker-Hale (Mauser-actioned variety not the Lee-Enfield jobs) and Musgrave Target rifles and getting stunning results and i guess it's just a matter of time before one of them mentions this. :-)

RPA,s dont qualify for factory sporter. Dont ask me why. Not at diggle, anyway. Check first buddy.

I have a 6.5 built on a quadlite action, and its an accurate gun alright, but the bolt lift is damned stiff, due to it being short lift.

+ 1 for the parker hale's, got two and mates have got em too

if I do my part they always give me sub 1/4 down to 1's

ask the other lads about theirs......

I had a good group outa skannys it was a belter x5 one hole sub -1's like bearly readable

cornishman yo when ya gonna get out playing with us idiots then????? :D:D

+ 1 for the parker hale's, got two and mates have got em too

if I do my part they always give me sub 1/4 down to 1's

ask the other lads about theirs......

I had a good group outa skannys it was a belter x5 one hole sub -1's like bearly readable

cornishman yo when ya gonna get out playing with us idiots then????? :o:D

Hey Jamie

howsi t goin dude?

hey a a4 sized copy of ur group is on my rfds wall he was so impresead with it!:-)

Must admit im happy with my 308 choice for sure

i have a full custom 243Ai thats a reall shooter but the 308 matches it to 400 yds & then starts to out do it beond 400!

altho im sure its down to the heavyer bullet rather then the rifle

i went from bloody ugly things to IM GETTING ONE OF THEM in about 2 outings after watching them dump bullets into stupidly small holes !

cant think that they do a mag fed system unless u spend a fortune mind!

cheers Andy

Just by replying to this thread, most of you know what i'm going to suggest but i just cant resist.... ;)

Sako 75 varminter ... Even Macmillan reckon that the varminter stock design is the best they've seen which is why they copy it....

Unsurpassed accuracy from the box. Steel 5 shot removable magazine with aluminum shoe. Never misfeeds ever !!!

My 75 will spit out any weight pill up to 175 grns ( not tried heavier ) without a groan and if i have my wind reading head on the right way it'll make a fine mess of the V bull at 1000 yds...

Or..... if you have a fatter wallet...... TRG .... :excl:

It's my understanding that RPA's became ineligable as factory sporters in benchrest and F class leagues as all the components come from outside sources other than the action which is maunfactured in-house. ( Well that's the reason they gave )

The reason for the change methinks is that RPA's kept winning the factory sporter comps. The ubiquitous Remys just couldn't compete. As such, the powers that be, moved the RPA's up with the big boys to offer a more level playing field for gen factory sporters..

RPA,s dont qualify for factory sporter. Dont ask me why. Not at diggle, anyway. Check first buddy.

I have a 6.5 built on a quadlite action, and its an accurate gun alright, but the bolt lift is damned stiff, due to it being short lift.

Baldie I also have a Quadlite and have noticed the very same thing , stiff as hell ;) , but a cracking rifle all the same :excl:

Thanks for the input!

Glad its not just me that thought the bolts were v stiff, but have to agree they are accurate, - mate of mine has a TH Hunter in .308 and I can get less than .5 @ 100 without much bother.

Also agree the Sako 75s are very good, currently own 3! However, did not get on with the 85, - stock issues. Also the supply of them from GMK, has been awful over the last 12-18 months, I know some people that have been waiting over 12 months for rifles!!

Hence the consideration of a Surgeon based .308, as I keep hearing good things about those that have been put together.

Regards

Malt

Archived