Annealing

Elwood

hi there chaps...

I thought I'd share with you my favourite way of annealing. I anneal after 6 loadings for my 6mmBR and the .204Ruger. I have gotten an old .300WinMag case which I split about a third up from the base and welded on a nail. I use this as my case holder.

I place a case in this holder, which is fitted on an electric drill, position the torch lit on the bench, switch the garage light off (so that I can see the colour change to a blueish tinge/maroon at most) and switch the drill on with very low revolutions. I have positioned a container with water under the drill, so, once I am satisfied that the case has reached the annealing point, I tip the holder down and off the case goes into the water. This eliminates the danger of touching a case as the only ones you handle are the ones you want to anneal which are dropped into the holder.

I then dry all the annealed cases and tumble them: bob's your uncle, new cases!

Not very scientific or exact as the assemblies posted here but I am useless technically and this is the best I could manage. In any case, I don't get split cases any more and I only chuck them when the primer pocket gets loose.

best wishes,

Finman

Archived