Dailing in ranges

I'm interested to know what methods you guys use when dialing in your different ranges whilst varminting.

Lets say you dial up to a target at 300 yards, then your next target (which could be some time after) is seen at 100 yards.

Do you dial back down to zero immediately after you have taken your 300 yard shot, so you know where you are starting from.

Or do you leave it dialed into 300 yards until you find your next target, and then dial down to 100 yards?

If using the second method, are there any tips for remembering where you are dialed into?

I don't do a lot of this but a few guys I know do and to great effect, and these guys dial in the 300 or whatever it might be then go back to zero after the shot is taken that way your scope is always starting from the same position, and this keeps things simple because every time you range some poor little rabbit or fox you will only have to dail one way and not have to think about turning the turret back to zero and then recounting the clicks, so by turning back to zero after every shot will make the next one a little quicker.

Guest PeteR

Given it appears that most folk dial back to zero straight after a shot what zero range are people using? 100, 200, or even 300? If zeroed at say 200 it would be a lot less clicks (say 1/4 inch per click)than having to go to 100 from a 300 shot and with most cartridges being fairly flat for the first couple of hundred......?

Guest 308Panther

I believe most use 100 yrds as this is the base line for moa....

If I am wrong.... some one let me know please?

If you zero at 200 and want to go to 300...yes it would take less clicks...BUT

You are still using the same amount of internal adj, that is set by the scopes manufacture,that you would use if you started from a 100 yrd zero...I hope I explained this correctly

There is only so much internal adj built into a scope....setting a zero at a longer distance isnt gonna magically produce more adjustment range.

308Panther

Always dial back to zero after taking the shot so you know where you are.

I have seen guys on the range forget and be a hole turn of the scope out, which on a Leupold is 15 MOA, you'll miss the next shot by a country mile.

Cheers

Dave

Tikka

most (all) of my scopes have target type turrets that are 1/4 moa (1/4 inch at 100 yards)

My zero is 130 - just because my target on my range is on a hill side and the target is level with my bench at 130 no other reason. Anyway, I set all my scope to this base zero and calibrate both the elevation and windage turrets to 0 at this range. My scopes are Leupold MK4's, but I think most modern scopes have the facility to reset the calibration dial.

Now should I find a target thats 300 yards away (checked with laser) I look at my drop in MOA, dial that in from my base zero and the target recieves its pill.

I then look for another target - say thats 130yards - just dial off what you put in returning to 0.

Even if I'm extending the range a bit, I rarely have to dial in more one full rotation of the elevation on any calibre rifle but you can get confused if you go turning more than 360 degrees on the turrets.

I find its best to return to zero after each shot, unless your popping bunnies from a long way off with a moddie when you can do half a dozen before they realise its time to go :)

It doesn't really matter waht zero range you use as long as you know the implications of that zero in terms of the clicks required for various ranges. You could use a 600 yard zero as long as you knew that it would entail 25 clicks of negative elevation at 100 yards for instance. Essentailly, zero for the range that you are most likley to shoot at and work out your elevation (both positive and negative) for the various ranges. Either memorise them or use a data card. It all works but use whats best for you.

z

The zero I my scope is 200 yards but in practise most of the time it is spent at the 140 yard setting. I ought to reset it I suppose but I know the settings to 300 yards as it is. (300 is 200 plus 11 clicks). After a longer shot I reset to 140 yards.

Another tip I picked up in the past is to go 2 or 3 clicks past your setting then rewind back into where you want to be. Not quite sure why this is benificial though, I tend to use it but cannot say it is better.

A

I guess this will be to remove any backlash in the turrets. I also use that method when zeroing my current 'scopes.

I'm not sure if it's neccesary with modern 'scopes but I suppose it shows good practice.

hi

i was told and have read that you should all ways go a good way by your drop adjustment,IE say 2"

and then dial down to your chosen settings.

as this should be more repeatable.and you should all ways finish your windage adjustments with a left adjustment

ATB

Colin :D

Lord. I feel like such a peasant.

I sight in a few inches high at 100 and learn the hold over for various distances. Seems to make it more fun that way. ~Andrew

If you are not going to far rangewise then that is perfectly good enough especially with a flat shooting caliber.

A

The method i use is to use the mill dot system in my scope??

first sight in for 100 yrds

shoot a target at 200, note the drop and whitch dot that represents??

shoot a target at 300, note the drop and whitch dot that represents??

shoot a target at 400 note the drop and whitch dot that represents??

shoot a target at 500 note the drop and whitch dot that represents??

one instant drop chart

If you are lucky and your mill dots line up?????

A good wind metre and a laser range finder!!!!!!!

and then go and have fun and learn :D

Guest varmartin

I set my zero at 1000 yards in anticipation for that one off long shot , and if a target appears closer....I just dial back :D:( :(

No but...yeh but no but....sorry.

I set Zero at 100 yards, range find every target and dial in for 10 yard increments.

( not forgetting + or - that click for up/down hill shooting )

I Dial in for wind most of the time, but some times just hold off to the edge of the target if i think that is all that is required...

Martin.

ps...thats why I miss a lot :(

Archived