Informing the police.

foxwhistler

It seems that Leicestershire police think it is a good idea if all shooter`s let them know every time they go shooting.

This is so they dont get the armed responce called out when not necessary.

This is what BASC has to say about it.

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) has refused to support a new scheme from the Leicestershire constabulary which asks shooters to notify them every time they go shooting.

Leicestershire police are proposing a voluntary notification of shooting events scheme which they claim will reduce the number of false alarms when armed police response units have to check ‘sightings’ of people with guns.

BASC chief executive, John Swift, said: “This is a half-baked idea that must be given much greater consideration. Such a scheme is unworkable and potentially dangerous other than for localised and very specific situations. Any scheme that is not tightly targeted will generate dangerously vague obligations and expectations that will not be met. I have called on Leicestershire police to go back to the drawing board and make sure that they have the full understanding and support of shooting organisations before they go any further.”

BASC members and the wider shooting community seek to maintain the highest standards of safety and good practice and BASC will be happy to work with Leicestershire constabulary on any such firearms related issues that they feel need attention.

What do other member`s think of this, as it could be implemented nationwide if the ACPO think it`s a good idea.

I personaly can see a lot of problem`s arising.

when i applied to derbyshire police for my fac they advised me to phone police each time i went shooting and when i had finished then after about 3 months the police phoned me to not phone them as it was making to many incident reports . they said they knew me, my car and mobile no and if anyone reported gun shots they could check if it was me. i dont mind phoning them but it could be to a dedicated line

its not a stipulation for firearms ownership, just big brother watching

Totally agree Mark, just chipping away at our civil liberties and erroding our right to carry on our sport.

It must be condemned ;)

Cheers

Dave

Not taking part in this unless I have to. How much notice would they need? what happens if you called the session off and an incident occurred. ;)

Definetly half baked.

As part of your renewal or application they know your stipulated land.

Maybe a better idea would be to, ask to be informed when you gain or lost land access and then for them to ring you if they had a shout.

Its not like they haven't got all your details is it.

Even that would be a breach of liberties though wouldn't it?

i have a peice of land near me thankfully far enough away though that at this moment in time has 10 diffrent fac holders to shoot on it ranging from .22 lr use right up to .243 use, surely an accident waiting to happen if more than one person decides to go lamping there, the police need to check land more thoroughly dfrom there end not us telling them when we want to have a shot

just my 2 cents

What a load of Bo**ocks!

The chances i do get to go lamping are normally few and far between, and are often last minute dicisions if i dont feel to worn out after work!

Im sure the police would greatly appreciate my phonecall at 10pm saying im goin lampin, ON MY OWN GROUND!!

thankfully i live in a rural area where most of the popluation shoot, so the sound of gunshots never cause much problem. this sort of screwed up idea will never come into force (i hope!!!)

Well I just can't see it working, so I wouldn't worry too much...

I shoot on over 10,000 acres, but with no more than 300acres or so in each patch, often only 50 acre pockets . So how exactly would that work? Every time I move to a different bit I inform the police of my location changing ;) My average walking distance while out for a days shooting is 25-30 miles (don't have a car :unsure: ) so I'd spend hours each week on the phone...and with often many thousand of shooters in Devon and Cornwall alone out each day, it would mean multiple phone lines and staff - hardly going to happen in a recession!

this sounds like a recipe to foul up the police system of comunications all by them selves. they struggle to cope now if you try to report a crime in the countryside can you imagine the chaos if ever shooter on a winters saturady tried to ring in for everywhere that they where hoping to shoot the whole system would be log jammed for the whole day dont think it would be inforced for long some how .

when we had the uk varmint shoot the other weekend i followed the guidance the firearms office had given me but the person on the other end sounded as if they couldnt really care as all it was doing was creating paperwork for them when i rang up the day befor as advised to as the firearms office was closed at the weekend.

graham.

this sounds like a recipe to foul up the police system of comunications all by them selves. they struggle to cope now if you try to report a crime in the countryside can you imagine the chaos if ever shooter on a winters saturady tried to ring in for everywhere that they where hoping to shoot the whole system would be log jammed for the whole day dont think it would be inforced for long some how .

when we had the uk varmint shoot the other weekend i followed the guidance the firearms office had given me but the person on the other end sounded as if they couldnt really care as all it was doing was creating paperwork for them when i rang up the day befor as advised to as the firearms office was closed at the weekend.

graham.

ive done this and its a bit mixed, everything fom "what colour undies are you wearing?" to " ooooh poor bambi!", i aint bothered really but i like to be covered, however if moving about, this would be a major ball ache, maybe tell em area, reg etc?

Basc wants you to phone the Police to let them know your goin Hunting ??

I did read that correctly ?

My respone to Basc would be: Stand up,drop my pants and tell them to kiss this.

If the Police are getting too many false alarm calls about "an armed man" then maybe the Police need to

start filing charges on the persons making the calls.

308Panther

Its not the BASC, just the police. Herts police have been asking you to call in even if you are going for pigeon or rabbit with a shot gun :ph34r: Also one of the bits ofland I shoot is owned by the council and cvan only be shot 11pm to 5am, booking out the day before with the parish council and the police, talk about making life difficult.

Mind you we have had 2 instances of public calling the police to people walking across a field carrying a shotgun :unsure:

I do this on a couple of my permissions usually where there is housing near by or where the land owner requested I let them and the police know when I go out (golf course), other areas which are very rural or on family land I don’t bother. I found it useful one evening when we saw a van leaving the area in a hurry we contacted the police who already knew who I was and where I was, turns out they were nicking diesel.

Archived