Opinions needed?

shrek

Rite lads, new question to think about, may be a simple to answer or not, but i dont know and so thats why im asking

Anyway....

My 6BR has always shot well, very well in fact, however always use to give me a small amount of blue (copper) on the patch after a 12hour soak of borefoam, fair enough i hear you say

Question is however,

I dont count rounds but i estimate that i have now put 7 to 8 hundered round through the little BR and have finally found my bug hole load, which is shooting extremely well, and is giving me next to no copper fouling at all, and its probably shot 50 rounds since it was last cleaned

So

Is this a known thing that barrles wear in to there optimum accuracy node, where everything is just running clean and smooth through wear on the lands and grooves, as even the best of the best barrles will have microscopic tooling marks in them from new??

Or is it just coincidence??

Regards

Shrek

I think it's a combination of things. A good load, sparse of cleaning, and familiarity with the gun come to mind. I am dead set against too much cleaning. My .222 Winchester will shoot .3 for 5 shots until I clean it, then I'm dancing around 5/8" until I get the barrel properly fouled; then it's shooting bugholes again. Ditto my Hornet and of course, the many rifles I shoot cast bullets in. Until I get the barrel fouled, my groups suffer. ~Andrew

The way that thing was cooking yesturday wot's your problem mate??!! :D

You want to watch this anal attitude, it'll put you right off sheep and get you started chasing women and then where will you be......

no problem at all ratty, just curious thats all, im well chuffed that my barrle aint stripping copper of jackets!

You got your 7mm sorted yet? an have to tried your bump gauge yet?

regards chasin women, it'll get me broke and tired haha!

I dont have any interest in sheep :rolleyes: !!!!!

The only rifle I clean after every shoot is the F Class gun.

All the others get cleaned when accuracy drops off, the 6.5x47 has had maybe 300 rounds through it since the last clean - you know how well it shoots mate.

All depends on your barrel, some need cleaning, some don't, there was a thread once on SH by a chap called Zac Smith he cleans only as and when it;s needed, there is a crater load of powder build up on his barrel crowns nd they still coninue to shoot.Sorry cannot recall the exact link to it, JAmie (silentsouls) may recall the actual post.

Cleaning only gets you a worn out barrel sooner IMHO.

Guest varmartin

Lets not forget different bullets will leave copper in the tube or none at all....

My BR showed loads of copper for the 1st 8 rounds....yep ...8 !

Used to clean it every time it was back in the safe .....

Now it gets cleaned after every 50 rounds...or so...

The last time it was cleaned I thought my stash of Butches had `gone off` so used a stronger solution....after 50 it showed slight copper and most of that came off of the jag....

First shot this sunday` cold bore`@435 yards....that bunny aint munchin grass no more ....!

Bullets being used of late ...75 Vmax.

Sierra 70 grainers show a bit more than Bergers 95`s...but its next to none on the scale of copperyness !

To sum up...the faster they fly the more copper may lie !...yeh I like that ! :rolleyes:

Yup, it took 2sh9d in old money to get it back on line mate.... then put 3 buck's on the deck wednesday morning with it ;)

Bump gauge... not yet B)

With all that curly hair you're sportin' at the moment, you'd better make sure some randy old tup don't take a fancy to you/ewe!!!!! ;)

Archived