Reloading Kits, Complete?

flytie

I am considering purchasing a reloading kit for my 6.5x55. Are they as advertised "everything you need to start reloading", or do you need other items as well? If so what are they, what would you recommend purchasing too?

Many thanks, ft.

hi flytie ,

if you havent got a thing for reloading the kits have enough to start you off , i started with a rockchucker supreme kit and use redding dies and lee collet dies for necksizing . they contain the bare minimun that you need to start but a few add ons makes things that much easier . the best thing to do is get a reloading manal and have a good read up about it you also tend to getwhat you pay for with presses redding or rcbs will last a life time the lee is cheap because its built that way though there dies are good as for other bits it depends ifyou want to buy once or upgrade later. if you want to see my setup your not to far away if you want to come over some time. also there are several other threads about this sort of thing where others say what diferent equipment preforms like. hope this helps if you want to know more ask ..

graham.

The best thing you can do is get some one to one instruction, then buy your gear having had a go.

I did a deal with Minsterly in that I bought my basic kit from them and they gave me half a day training free. That was some years ago now pre web time, I would have thought that you have someone here not to far away that can show you. I am about 2 hours away if necessary.

As for gear,

Essential

Reload manual

Single stage press

Powder scales

Die set ( resize and seater)

Case holder for press and primer tool, these may be different depending on your primer tool)

Primer insertion tool (The Lee one is cheap and fine)

Powder trickler

Neck chamfer tool

Vernier gauge

Case Lube

Reloading rack (holds cases upright)

Cleaner brush for primer pockets

Powder funnel for the caliber you load

Ammo box (s) for loaded rounds

Nice to have but you can do without at a push

Powder dispenser

Case tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner

Case trimmer

You would have a bit of an issue getting roughy the right amount of powder into the pan on the scales but there are a series of scoops available (Lee?) that would do the job cheaply if more slowly.

A

Hornady now do a kit, which is astounding value for money, its £299 i think, and contains absolutely everything required, except dies. When we unpacked one, i could not believe how much stuff was in there, digital scales, powder thrower, press, with lock-n-loads etc etc...unbelievable, even has manuals and dvd,s.

Hornady now do a kit, which is astounding value for money, its £299 i think, and contains absolutely everything required, except dies. When we unpacked one, i could not believe how much stuff was in there, digital scales, powder thrower, press, with lock-n-loads etc etc...unbelievable, even has manuals and dvd,s.

Baldie, just googled Hornaday and came up with this on the Cabela's site;

Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic™ Reloading Kit, October 2, 2008

By DS11 from Waterloo SC

"I have been pleased with this reloading press kit. Although I did have to order a few more things, Its still a good buy."

This is the problem I am trying to address, what else do you need? Many thanks for the advice though.

ft

yea the site does seem slow this morning , the admins are possibly do mainteneance to the site

Ring Reloading solutions at Oxford.

Tell them want you want to do, want you expent to achieve and your budget and they will sort you out.

They are great people very friendly and helpful plus unlike many they will not just sell you something to make a pound.

www.sinclairintl.com do the RCBS Rockchucker kit for $305 plus post. In the States but they do ship to the UK.

Ask them the price to ship to the UK.

Have to pay VAT and a couriers admin change, but still be cheaper than UK retailer.

Many thanks to Spud and Jack for bothering to reply but I know where to get the kits from. I just keep hearing and reading that you need to buy other bits of kit too, and wondered what they were?

DJM, I will ring reloading solutions to have a chat and see what they say, thank you!

ft

tell me what kit you want to buy and how anal you want to get with your reloading and ill tell what else you need to buy

cheer mark

Flytie your question is a bit awkward as it does depend as spud said on how anal you want to be?

The basic kits will get you going but do you for example have a tight neck chamber? these kits won't take this into account. Flash hole deburrer may not be included but to get going this is not that important.

They will however get you up and running with a standard factory rifle.

If however you want to jump in right at the deep end then buy one of everything but you will need a decent budget.

As already suggested see somebody who is already reloading. See what kit they have and then adjust your ideas to suit. There are a variety of ways to doing things and you may find all the gadgets are unnecessary.

flytie,

sadly where reloading is concerned it is not a cut and dried case as to what you need it depends on what you want to achieve and how much you shoot . as to prep and load 100 match or bench rest bullets to shoot out to 1000yds will require more equipment and time than twenty foxing rounds or 100 varminting rounds as the levels of accuracy will require a lot more equipment and time and there are things that you can get away with and some you cant . the best advise i can give is start simple to do the basics right and then get more techinical as you gain more experience , cause if you get it over complicated and inexperienced it can be dangerous . also your buget can be a factor as you have to remember for 100 rounds you need a minimun of 1lb of suitable powder around £45 some bullets say £30 ish and primers £5 plus brass if you have no once fired factory loads say£80 .

the things you need on top of the kit are suitable dies depending on what you want to achieve as cheap as £35 or nearly £200 couple of shell holders for relevant case one for press and one for primer tool,powder trickler , extra shell tray so you can work one to another for each step, kinetic hammer or bullet puller to right mistakes or pull unsafe loads to salavge components and possibly a case trimmer if your calabier works your brass alot you will need one eventually . case tumbler to clean brass not esential to start . electrnic powder thrower nice but not esential the list goes on . i know that rcbs do a addon kit that has the basic extras in it aswell as a seperate powder thrower stand and it doubles up on a few things that its useful to have two of , basically you can get up and running for about £500 or you could spend three times that. the best advise i could give is dont try to run before you can walk.

even i forgot a decent set of vernier gauges £70 bullet comparators kit plus oal gauge and has someone warned you how addictive it is sturdy bench is required to bolt relevant bits to as well .

graham.

if you fancy a day in norfolk i am more than willing to go through basic reloading with you , tbh "youtube" in this case is your friend.

mark

flytie,

sadly where reloading is concerned it is not a cut and dried case as to what you need it depends on what you want to achieve and how much you shoot . as to prep and load 100 match or bench rest bullets to shoot out to 1000yds will require more equipment and time than twenty foxing rounds or 100 varminting rounds as the levels of accuracy will require a lot more equipment and time and there are things that you can get away with and some you cant . the best advise i can give is start simple to do the basics right and then get more techinical as you gain more experience , cause if you get it over complicated and inexperienced it can be dangerous . also your buget can be a factor as you have to remember for 100 rounds you need a minimun of 1lb of suitable powder around £45 some bullets say £30 ish and primers £5 plus brass if you have no once fired factory loads say£80 .

the things you need on top of the kit are suitable dies depending on what you want to achieve as cheap as £35 or nearly £200 couple of shell holders for relevant case one for press and one for primer tool,powder trickler , extra shell tray so you can work one to another for each step, kinetic hammer or bullet puller to right mistakes or pull unsafe loads to salavge components and possibly a case trimmer if your calabier works your brass alot you will need one eventually . case tumbler to clean brass not esential to start . electrnic powder thrower nice but not esential the list goes on . i know that rcbs do a addon kit that has the basic extras in it aswell as a seperate powder thrower stand and it doubles up on a few things that its useful to have two of , basically you can get up and running for about £500 or you could spend three times that. the best advise i could give is dont try to run before you can walk.

even i forgot a decent set of vernier gauges £70 bullet comparators kit plus oal gauge and has someone warned you how addictive it is sturdy bench is required to bolt relevant bits to as well .

graham.

Graham, many thanks, just what I was looking for, you are a star!

if you fancy a day in norfolk i am more than willing to go through basic reloading with you , tbh "youtube" in this case is your friend.

mark

Mark, you are most kind. Fortunately for me, I delivered some gear yesterday to a chap I have known slightly for many years but I had not known he was a gun buff. He is a precision engineer and, more importantly, a reloader. He has offered to mentor me in my reloading.

I only want to reload for deer stalking, foxing and a bit of plinking on the range. But I have found the subject fascinating ever since I was at a lecture given by Steve Bowers on ballistics.

ft

Archived