Rust on new screwcut

njc110381

My Hornet is rusting on the screwcut I just had done. It's only light but I want to know how I can stop it. I've never had this before. Usually I just remove the mod once a month or so when I'm cleaning it and all is fine.

I assume it's because it's not a factory cut and it's not blued? Can I blue it myself to stop this?

Guest varmartin

if it s ` virgin` steel , then clean it with a wire brush or some steel wool, then blue it if you like...but keep it lubed with ` coppa slip` or a light grease...or even a bit of boot polish into the threads ...that will stop it corroding.

This is a problem we have in the shop. i used to cold blue all threads, but blue, being a type of rust itself, only accelerates the problem, so i now only blue on request, as i think it rusts faster than steel. What i now do, is oil the thread with a thick gun oil, which sticks. Anything will do, as martin says.

Blueing can be the traditional "rust blueing" or a chemical blueing or blacking process. The most durable is the hot chemical blueing done in tanks. sadly it is mostly only done by larger manufacturers these days, what with Europrat rules etc, although some gunsmiths still do it themselves. With all these processes, the final requirement is to use a rust preventative oil ( often called a "dewatering oil" ) as it is applied after a hot water rinse. This needs to be done within about half an hour of the blueing process as after that the surface becomes non absorbent to the oil. Copperslip is not necessary or any better than plain grease in this instance, which will prevent rusting. Often traces of the soluble cutting oil are still on the metal after threading and this will then cause rust as well, just clean it with a drop of petrol and a paint brush if your going to grease it. Otherwise a hot water and washing up liquid rinse followed by hot water is fine, then do your chemical blacking or blueing, rinse with hot water then dry and oil or grease whichever you prefer.

Redfox

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise that blueing it wouldn't help so I'm glad I asked! I'll wash it in petrol to start with as suggested and I have plenty of grease around so I'll bung some of that on it.

Will I still need to remove the mod after every trip from now on though? I hate getting in at 3am and having to clean my gun :lol:

take the mod off mate when not in use it will help get air around the thread and stop it sweating in the cabinet

thanks mark

Archived