anybody got one...

1967spud

Has anybody got a couple of spare 6.5-284 cases i can purchase from them. As i am trying to get some so i can send them of to Hornady so they can thread them for my OAL gauge. From choice i would prefer Lapua Cases but you cant look a gift horse in the mouth. Not sure if they need to be virgin brass or once fired.

Thanks Mark

hi spud ,

i got a gauge and will identify the thread if my thread gauges cover it then it might be possible to drill and thread them your self or some kind sole might be able to do them for you a tap probally wouldnt cost what hornady will charge and the postage.

graham.

Guest varmartin

There is a more accurate method previously discused on here called the ` split case ` method....

In short ...get one fired case ..`dremel` down the neck and just into the shoulder...pinch the neck to hold a bullet, seat long ..load into chamber and close bolt ...remove round and measure .....the most accurate way of finding your lands ...

The split case method is definitely not more accurate and he already has the tool, just needs a particular case for the x 284. Reloading Solutions might have one in stock, but if you contact Col48 on here he has the correct tap and can do it for you.

Redfox

Thanks varmartin i have not heard of that method before, redfox thanks for the info resol did indeed have one. If you sweet talk Bushra (Aftabs sister) Discount flies your way.

Varmartin how can you stop the bullet wedging in to the lands and then not knowing how far down the case the bullet slipped, if you know what i mean.

thanks guys

mark

Varmartin how can you stop the bullet wedging in to the lands and then not knowing how far down the case the bullet slipped, if you know what i mean.

mark

Hi Mark

Personally I use the Sinclair tool, which I find very accurate, and you don't need the appropriate case each time. But as Martin said the split case does work well, I've tried both methods and ended up with the same readings. Never rely on one reading though, I normally do 3-4 which must be consistent.

You must also check each bullet to be used.

Cheers Steve

Guest varmartin
Thanks varmartin i have not heard of that method before, redfox thanks for the info resol did indeed have one. If you sweet talk Bushra (Aftabs sister) Discount flies your way.

thanks guys

mark

The Hornady AKA Stoney Point tool uses a ` generic` case ( or a fire formed case, if you send them one ) and relies on the user using the same amount of force each time to seat a bullet in the lands during the operation....This measurement is from the case shoulder to the start of the lands

The `split case` method uses a case fire formed in `your`chamber which headspaces against `your` bolt face....the pinch on the bullet is exactly the same because it is `mechanised` by the tension the case neck provides....this measurement is the true COL...to touch the lands .

Both operations will give VERY accurate measurements....

One will be closer to the COL when you build a loaded round ...the choice is yours.....But remember , when you measure your loaded rounds...do you measure from the shoulder to the ogive or from the case face to the ogive ???

The Hornady AKA Stoney Point tool uses a ` generic` case ( or a fire formed case, if you send them one ) and relies on the user using the same amount of force each time to seat a bullet in the lands during the operation....This measurement is from the case shoulder to the start of the lands

The `split case` method uses a case fire formed in `your`chamber which headspaces against `your` bolt face....the pinch on the bullet is exactly the same because it is `mechanised` by the tension the case neck provides....this measurement is the true COL...to touch the lands .

Both operations will give VERY accurate measurements....

One will be closer to the COL when you build a loaded round ...the choice is yours.....But remember , when you measure your loaded rounds...do you measure from the shoulder to the ogive or from the case face to the ogive ???

in the past i have always measured from the case face to ogive, is this not right mate

mark

Archived