2 more from the barn

Toby

-7c last night. Drove to barn at 10pm,set alarm and slept until 3am.First fox came 5 mins after settling into the chair.Next one just over an hour later.Both ran on a fair bit(they were at a funny angle)but luckily the day before we had a new fall of snow so that, and the fact there was plenty of "paint" meant an easy tracking job.A dog and a bitch,the bitch showing early stages of mange.One more weekend to go before the season ends :)

DSC03600.jpg

Guest martin

Hey Toby,you do like to suffer for your sport mate,well done,and,I hope you get a few more before the end of the season mate..............'M'

Well done Toby!!!! :D;)

Sure is cold where you are , i bet the view is stunning with all that snow!!! ;)

All the best................

RAY...................................... :D;)

Nice going Toby, those foxes look frozen stiff, good job you've got a barn to shoot from.

Didn't realise you had a season on foxes, as they're fair game all year here.

Cheers

Dave

Like Dave said no season here with them being classed as vermin.

Hope you get some more before you run out of time.

What are the season dates then?

Open season is from 15.07-15.04.Fantastic views|fom the barn,much better than the small field of view out of my old cabin.I think that is what has made the move more successful,I can see them coming from 3-400m away and that they are up by the farm buildings/muckpile most nights judging by the tracks.Thats 9 in the last month,6 by me and 3 by a mate.

DSC03597.jpg

DSC03596.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

Views from the barn , left to right. Bait is at 80m on the edge of the tyre tracks in the snow.

fantastic views there Toby, are you shooting the foxes by use of night vision , lamp or using the moon light ?

Are there any laws there regarding shooting at night?

cheers Andy

Just good old fashioned german optics with an illuminated reticle ;) Lamping is out, as is the use of NV gear. You are allowed to use a lamp if it is fixed to a wall, otherwise its just to use the snow and moonlight.You aren't even allowed to use artificial light when following up wounded game unless you are part of an "official"game dept.As you saw on the Roe dvd it is legal to shoot deer in the moonlight over here,it's when you wound them that you start having problems.There have been numerous cases over here in the hunting press of hunters that have been taken to court over both successful and unsuccessful night shooting episodes.The commonest species to shoot at night over here is fox, followed by red deer and roe deer.

Archived