deer qualifications

hi all

I'm interested in attaining more qualifications on deer and deer management,

i have dsc1 and dsc2

so my question is what is there to do next.what is involved in the course and have you done the course yourself.

links to sites that run such courses and is there any good books that can help me with such courses.

ATB

Colin :huh:

best thing to do is get out and try and shoot some deer Col :D:D or you will becoming an arm chair expert LOL

Dont worry they will bring level 3 in next :huh:

you stand need talking Pete :D:D when was the last time you was up our land??????

I'm back up in 2 weeks time.

any way i have more success in my chair than i do when i go up there :lol:;):D:D

ATB

Colin :D

Guest northernchris

As already said the advanced BDS course,but instead of lining their pockets even more Col save the money towards fuel and get out more,you just cant beat hands on IMO.

Chris

As already said the advanced BDS course,but instead of lining their pockets even more Col save the money towards fuel and get out more,you just cant beat hands on IMO.

Chris

hi Chris

i go up once a month at the moment,and sometimes twice a month. I'm just interested in what other qualifications are available to do.

ATB

Colin :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
Typical begginer`s remark.. They allway`s have a thirst for knoledge at the start until the novalty wears off ;)

Vim, why is it a typical begginers remark? I think its a good thing people want to learn more about Stalking than just go out trying to bowl Deer over. Surely its more than a novelty after the money people spend in getting set up, dont you think.

Kal

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Equaliser
Typical begginer`s remark.. They allway`s have a thirst for knoledge at the start until the novalty wears off :blink:

I would not have said that as a 40 year novice the thirst for knowledge and improvement in any discipline should be sought by all as no matter how much you or anyone thinks they know about any subject you can always learn a little more and that progression of learning is as it should be but thats just my own point of view

Kind regards

Stu

Vim, why is it a typical begginers remark? I think its a good thing people want to learn more about Stalking than just go out trying to bowl Deer over. Surely its more than a novelty after the money people spend in getting set up, dont you think.

Kal

Its more to do with an attitude of mind than it is to do with money. Some believe that if they throw enough money at something aptitude's and knowledge will come their way. Others realise that such things only come from hard work and application, and having the right attitude in the first place of course.

Some people will never have the right attitude or capability to increase their knowledge of deer and their management and will remain forever just trigger pullers.

Colin

you already have the basics, (a bit like when someone does martial arts and attains a black belt - the proper learning starts only then)

Use the knowledge youv'e aquired on paper of your quarry and start utilising it in the field.

There is, the advanced stalkers course run by BDS, but this is aimed more at estate managers (I think)

Andy

Your getting confused with the old Deer Managers courses that they use to run.

The Advanced is definitely a stalkers based course but they have now made the shooting test non- compulsory. In order to attract the non shooting participants.

Colin

you already have the basics, (a bit like when someone does martial arts and attains a black belt - the proper learning starts only then)

Use the knowledge youv'e aquired on paper of your quarry and start utilising it in the field.

There is, the advanced stalkers course run by BDS, but this is aimed more at estate managers (I think)

hi Andy

i do go stalking, just because i would like to learn more about my chosen quarry,does not mean i don't go stalking,

i am after something like accredited witness

but i was mostly trying to find out what there is out there to do, i remember being told there was some qualifications something like n23 n24 n25 or something like that.

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

Colin

please dont think I am implying you do not go stalking.

What I was trying to say, is that no matter how "qualified" a person is, there is no substitute for experience.

I would rather take the advice of a person who has shot 200 deer succesfully and has "only DSC1" than from someone who has shot half a dozen but has DSC1 and 2, becuse they have the time and finances available to study.

You could attampt joining St Huberts but I think its invitation only, their training scheme is very thororough and the guys in this club really know their stuff :rolleyes:

I know there are a few members who are on here, perhaps they could offer you advice on your quest.

Like I said at the start of the post, I was not attempting to allege you hadn't shot any deer.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the essance of Richard Priors Book, Humble Pie says it all. Here is a man who most people would credit as the leading expert on Roe Deer in the UK yet the man says that every time he goes out he learns somthing new or somthing a deer will do will fly against what are regarded almost as behavioural rules. You can never learn to much about a subject.

Out of curiosity does any one know what the advanced stalkers shooting test consists of?

Dave

I think the essance of Richard Priors Book, Humble Pie says it all. Here is a man who most people would credit as the leading expert on Roe Deer in the UK yet the man says that every time he goes out he learns somthing new or somthing a deer will do will fly against what are regarded almost as behavioural rules. You can never learn to much about a subject.

Out of curiosity does any one know what the advanced stalkers shooting test consists of?

Dave

Quote from BDS Training Dept ....

During the BDS Deer Management Course an opportunity will be available for students to attempt an advanced shooting test. This is entirely voluntary and the outcome will not affect your final examination results. If however you do shoot and achieve the required standard, this will be detailed on any Deer Management Certificate issued.

It is considered that students talking the Deer Management Course Advanced Shooting Test should have attained a high level of competence and be able to demonstrate immediate accuracy and marksmanship. For this reason no practice or sighting shots are allowed on the day of the shoot. Students are advised to practise the shooting disciplines prior to attending the course and rifles should be properly zeroed on arrival. Students should bring sufficient ammunition to complete the disciplines as detailed below. Normal stalking accessories are allowed and must be used as instructed.

Prior to any shooting all participants will be given a range safety briefing to which everyone must conform.

Shot Target Range Requirement Aids/Position

1 Hind 150m 8 inch circle Optional – prone or high seat

2 Hind 150m 8 inch circle Optional – prone or high seat

3 Roe 100m Score Ring 7 High seat

4 Roe 100m Score Ring 7 Sitting or kneeling using fencepost for support

5 Roe 100m Score Ring 7 Any position, not using fencepost (normal stalking aids permitted).

6 Roe 75m Score Ring 7 From standing position, rifle held in one hand facing forward, safety catch applied. When commanded you have 15 seconds to take shot from the sitting/kneeling position (sticks or bipod permitted).

7 Roe 75m Score Ring 7 From standing position, rifle held in one hand facing forward, safety catch applied. On command 15 seconds to move forward 2 full paces and take shot using the fencepost for support in the sitting/kneeling position (sticks or bipods permitted).

8&9 Roe 50m Score Ring 7 2 rapid shots. Rifle held in one hand facing forward, safety catch applied. On command 20 seconds to fire both shots, from any position except prone (sticks or bipod permitted).

Where sticks or bipods are permitted they must closed or folded prior to any forward movement.

The pass mark is all 9 shots in the prescribed kill areas. Only 2 attempts at the practice are allowed, devised in the following manner:

If a shooter fails on the hind target at the first attempt the practice may be fired a second time. The roe practice will not be fired unless the shooter has been successful on the hind target. Anyone who was successful at the first attempt on the hind target may take 2 attempts at the roe practice if necessary. If 2 attempts at the hind target are necessary then only one attempt at the roe will be allowed.

It sounds easy, until your'e under pressure on the day !!!

T260

Col -

Three words on the BDS Deer Managers course - go for it!

I spent a happy week at Amesbury quite some years back. From the start, it was a real pleasure to be studying with a bunch of like minded folk - with the added benefit that they also had good levels of experience.

The topics covered were those that a 'Deer Manager' (NOT a trigger puller) needs to have under his belt - and gave me the confidence to go out and approach estates and individuals with the technical knowledge to answer estate management queries.

The ability to produce a cull plan, to advise on plantation design to allow for future deer control, to identify suitable soil for producing a tempting deer lawn, sacrificial plant selection and planting......... hell, so much information that we SHOULD know.

The shoot was fun - and certainly not beyond the capabilities of any competent shooter. As for there being a bit of performance pressure on the range - yep, for sure, but who doesn't feel adrenaline when confronted with a shot? As I recall, we also had a fun pool shoot. I had a blinding shoot - but lost to an RFD with a false leg! Bugger locked it out, and his standing shooting was fantastic. :)

The exam on the final day was ...... comprehensive!

Be prepared to produce a cull plan as well as answering a load of questions based on the week's study. Make sure the numbers work out - after sweating over the breakdown of age/sex to be taken off a mythical plot of land, I realised I had four deer unaccounted for in the plan.

Seconds ticking by before the end of the exam and I decided to improvise......... ended the plan with the note that four beasts were not accounted for in the scheme........ as they represented the average number that fell off cliffs and died of natural causes in the course of the year!! :) Job done, cull plan complete!

Give me a call if you want any further info - all in all, it is a week that anyone with a real interest in the management of a herd will truly enjoy.

rgds Ian :)

Col -

I spent a happy week at Amesbury quite some years back. From the start, it was a real pleasure to be studying with a bunch of like minded folk - with the added benefit that they also had good levels of experience.

The topics covered were those that a 'Deer Manager' (NOT a trigger puller) needs to have under his belt - and gave me the confidence to go out and approach estates and individuals with the technical knowledge to answer estate management queries.

The ability to produce a cull plan, to advise on plantation design to allow for future deer control, to identify suitable soil for producing a tempting deer lawn, sacrificial plant selection and planting......... hell, so much information that we SHOULD know.

The shoot was fun - and certainly not beyond the capabilities of any competent shooter. As for there being a bit of performance pressure on the range - yep, for sure, but who doesn't feel adrenaline when confronted with a shot? As I recall, we also had a fun pool shoot. I had a blinding shoot - but lost to an RFD with a false leg! Bugger locked it out, and his standing shooting was fantastic. :)

Be prepared to produce a cull plan as well as answering a load of questions based on the week's study. Make sure the numbers work out - after sweating over the breakdown of age/sex to be taken off a mythical plot of land, I realised I had four deer unaccounted for in the plan.

Seconds ticking by before the end of the exam and I decided to improvise......... ended the plan with the note that four beasts were not accounted for in the scheme........ as they represented the average number that fell off cliffs and died of natural causes in the course of the year!! :) Job done, cull plan complete!

Give me a call if you want any further info - all in all, it is a week that anyone with a real interest in the management of a herd will truly enjoy.

Thanks for that Ian

I will have a chat with you at the show, and possibly might even indulge in a we dram

Catch ya later

Colin :D

Col -

Ian

Did you opt to refrain from doing the shooting test?

We who did the course before all of the changes had no choice it was not an option it was part of the course.:D

Ian

Did you opt to refrain from doing the shooting test?

We who did the course before all of the changes had no choice it was not an option it was part of the course.:)

Hoot

Like you - I did the course some years before 'opting out' was an option. :)

Rgds Ian

Archived