Importing a barrel??

I am wanting a pre-chamberd 6x47 lapua barrel to fit a savage Fclass action,

Shilen make one that will fit straight on to this action, but what is needed to import barrels from the states,

I understand that it would have to be shipped to an RFD, but can any RFD apply for a licence to import the barrel for me??

john.

Not sure about a pre chambered barrel, regarding the legalities of export from the states, if it enters the UK it is classed as part of a firearm and must be entered on your ticket by an RFD.

A barrel blank (unchambered barrel) is just a steel tube.

However, I have a few barrels on order with makers in the states, one of the companies I have a barrel on order to rang last week; my barrel is ready to be shipped, can we have payment, duly given;

"we wont be able to ship anymore without an export licence" (Their end)

The application fee is $2000.........

My guy is investigating various avenues of export to here as these are very good barrels, it will be a shame if they are no longer available to the "little guy"

I hope this source does not dry up :lol:

Contact Stuart at Osprey rifle,s....he gets all the aftermarket barrels etc for savage. He will know exactly where to get this barrel, as he sponsors the "f" class league.

Thanks for the replies, i have emailed jim at sharp shooter supplies, they deal exclusivley with savage rifles,

he is looking into the export requirements for barrels etc.

It can be done with actions and complete rifles whatever the calibre/cartridge size,

so it should be ok to ship pre-chamberd barrels, providing its to a RFD over here??

I have a slot on my ticket for a 6x47 lapua, so the barrel will go on there,

at that stage though it will not have a serial number untill it is fitted to the action,

then it will become a 6x47 with the action number.?

Thanks, i will get in touch with Osprey rifles, soon.

john.

ps, is Stuart at osprey rifles the same guy that was with (or still is) North west custom parts??

Get it unchambered, no hassle at all this side and with some manufactureres (not all though) no hassle on their side. I suppose Walther migt be another idea or Brian Fox has some Bartlein's in stock.

A

Cheers A, but i was looking at ordering pre-chamberd barrels to screw straight on to this action,

threaded for a mod then proofed, headspaced by me with a go-gauge

as in the www.precisionrifle.co.uk scroll down the rifle of the month

until you hit the savage F/TR

cheers john

Stuart Anselm hasn,t anything to do with nwcustom parts anymore, but he,s doing all the savage stuff. To import a chambered barrel, you need an export license, which can be $200 or $2000, depending on who is arranging it The license is free, but people,s time isn,t . Stuart has one for sharp shooter supplies, and will source a barrel, fit, and headspace, proof it, a whole lot cheaper than you could yourself...and it will be guaranteed.

Thanks for the advice, i have had a chat with Stuart, i think its best to just get a barrel fitted to the action, headspaced/threaded/proofed all in one go,

its going to be too much hastle to be worth it just for one barrel.

Thanks to all who advised.

john

Archived