Henry Krank LRP not to be used with hand priming tools???

phaedra1106uk

I was looking for some Murom KVB7's and was suggested I try the new Henry Krank "own brand" LRP's

No idea who actually makes them, I assume Prvi have someone make them for them?

Anyway, was about to order when I found this on the HK website,  

"large rifle primers should only be used with a press and not with a hand tool"

https://www.henrykrank.com/blog/primed-for-success-the-new-hk-primers.html

I know in the past Lee have recommended not to use Federal in their hand priming tools or to only single feed them.

Anyone know who actually makes these primers or why they shouldn't be used with a hand primer?

I've used my RCBS Universal hand primer with all different makes and sizes of primers and never found a warning or problem.

11 hours ago, phaedra1106uk said:

I was looking for some Murom KVB7's and was suggested I try the new Henry Krank "own brand" LRP's

No idea who actually makes them, I assume Prvi have someone make them for them?

Anyway, was about to order when I found this on the HK website,  

"large rifle primers should only be used with a press and not with a hand tool"

https://www.henrykrank.com/blog/primed-for-success-the-new-hk-primers.html

I know in the past Lee have recommended not to use Federal in their hand priming tools or to only single feed them.

Anyone know who actually makes these primers or why they shouldn't be used with a hand primer?

I've used my RCBS Universal hand primer with all different makes and sizes of primers and never found a warning or problem.

Can't see any technical reason as a press is a press provided the forces required to seat the primer are sufficient.  At a guess I'd say it's to ensure a full seating of the primer every time and therefor avoid poor seating misfires which would give them a bad reputation hitting sales of a new-to-market product??   Perhaps the cups are tight tolerance and require extra force to seat well?

Maybe HK can elaborate ?

From what I got on another forum the pistol versions are made in Bosnia and the rifle types in another country, the LRP are a very tight fit, here's the info,

"Using two different micrometers, the cup diameter measures .2114”, and .120” cup height"

Also mentioned that they were very similar to the Ginex primers Bold Action used to bring to Bisley in bulk.

My current Murom KVB7 (which are a solid fit!) measure 0.2115" by 0.125" and never had a problem with those.