A first for me

Elwood

One of my biggest regrets ever will be not taking a camera to work everyday, I believe I have or will whiteness sights that few people seldom get to see.

Yesterday another one happened, while walking around the perimeter of one of my release pens doing general maintenance I noticed a female sparrow hawk fly up from off the ground no more than ten yards away from me and perch in a tree . I looked around at the floor expecting to see a black bird or a pigeon and there it was to my amazement, a woodcock.

The sparrow hawk could only of just struck the woodcock as it was very much alive and very much intact . I went into the pen and walked up to the woodcock expecting it to fly off, but it didn't. I picked it up and moved it to somewhere safer as I know sparrow hawks will come back eventually to finish of the pickings.

After lunch, I thought to myself what a wonderful photo opportunity, not many people get the chance to photograph a woodcock . So I grabbed my camera and went back to where I had placed the woodcock and the bloody thing was dead, typical.

PICT0051-1.jpg

Archived