MODERATORS

Guest Sprags

I have a PES moderator on my .243, it used to sit on my .22-250 but I sold that, I did telephone JMS to ask if the PES would be ok to use on the .243 and was told...Yep!

I went out today to set up a friends newly aquired .243 (with a Wildcat mod) and decided to take my .243 along to have a play. The difference in noise reduction was unbelievable, my mates rifle was a lot quieter. This leads me to ask, is my PES not really up to moderating a .243 or is my mates Wildcat just far superior?

If I need to upgrade my mod, can I get another without selling the PES or do I need to get rid of the PES before I buy a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Sprags

If you only have one moderator slot you'll have to trade them. I hope you have no visible maker or number listed on your FAC so you don't have to send off for a one-for-one? I have a Wildcat, it's a good mod. Can't comment on the PES really, although my mate has one on his 6.5x55 and seems happy with it apart from the weight.

I have bought a P8 on my .308 and about the same time James bought a PES (12 baffle), for his .243, to be honest the P8 seems loads better, the PES looks the part but the P8 reduces the noise better which is what were after. Add to this that I have a T8 on my .243 and that is superb and again seems better than the PES. Hope that this helps Sprags.

Guest Sprags
I have bought a P8 on my .308 and about the same time James bought a PES (12 baffle), for his .243, to be honest the P8 seems loads better, the PES looks the part but the P8 reduces the noise better which is what were after. Add to this that I have a T8 on my .243 and that is superb and again seems better than the PES. Hope that this helps Sprags.

What is a P8? :blink:

If I am going to replace the PES, what should I replace it with? How many mods are out there and worth considering?

Regards,Sprags

I have a PES 12 baffle on my .243 too. I previously had a T4, which to my ears was quieter than the PES and was better balanced when on the rifle, also the PES is very long which makes it awkward to move around in a high seat of mine. My friend has a JetZ on his Blaser which is probably the quietest moderator I've heard. I think I'll look at the new ASE reflex mod which was in last months shooting sports when I've got some spare cash. ATB, Gareth.

hi guys,

well have got two wildcat moderators one is a predator 8 which is sat on my 243 very good sound reduction.

the other is a predator 12 which is on my 308. and this is very quite it also does a slightly better job than the p8 on the 243 but the extra weight is probally not worth the fractional increase in sound reduction.on the smaller calabier.

but the p12 on the 308 is quiter than the 243 with the p8 sadly cant try the p8 on the 308 as a comparsion due to wrong bore size through the baffles.

graham.

the north star is longer, heavier and wider then the S5 and compact.

the sound suppression is approx the same as the s5 but not quite as good as the compact

it is a sleeve the barrel type as the others just screw on to the end,

it is stainless steel and cheapest of the three

i havnt used one but would hazard a guess that as it comes from the same stable as the s5 and compact im sure it would be pretty good,

totally depends upon your preference,

From what I have been told, which is nice about the north star in my opinion is it only attatches at the muzzle, but goes back over the barrel but without a delrin fixing - don't know what that would be like for collecting muck and debris though??

From what I have been told, which is nice about the north star in my opinion is it only attatches at the muzzle, but goes back over the barrel but without a delrin fixing - don't know what that would be like for collecting muck and debris though??

Presumably you would take it off after every trip out so that should alleviate a build up of crap. there is a review in one of the mags at present on Northstar, I would be concearned that gases could maybe blow back toward the scope. Dont expect they can but you never know.

If I was in the market I would look at CQB or maybe this new Titanium once it is prooved as a viable product.

A

Presumably you would take it off after every trip out so that should alleviate a build up of crap. there is a review in one of the mags at present on Northstar, I would be concearned that gases could maybe blow back toward the scope. Dont expect they can but you never know.

If I was in the market I would look at CQB or maybe this new Titanium once it is prooved as a viable product.

A

There's a Northstar just a few miles from you Geoff, Chris has one which I offered up on the rifle he'd just rebarreled for me, the gases can't blow back to the scope, I have a CQB and three T8's but the stainless overbarrel build of this mod will almost certainly steer me to one of these when I need a new moderator. If you take it off regularly I can't see a problem with debris arising. ASE are a savvy company and I can't really see them dropping a clanger

with their previous experience.

Pete.

There's a Northstar just a few miles from you Geoff, Chris has one which I offered up on the rifle he'd just rebarreled for me, the gases can't blow back to the scope, I have a CQB and three T8's but the stainless overbarrel build of this mod will almost certainly steer me to one of these when I need a new moderator. If you take it off regularly I can't see a problem with debris arising. ASE are a savvy company and I can't really see them dropping a clanger

with their previous experience.

Pete.

I will have a look in du course then, I will probably be wanting something for the 20BR in due course.

but I am going to shoot it without this summer providing that is I actually get my hands on it this summer !!..

A

MY PES 12 WAS UP TO THE JOB UNTILL I USED MORE POWDER NOW IM THINKING THE SAME AS YOU SPRAGS ?...THE JET Z ULTRA I HAVE ON MY 25-06 IS FAR BETTER ..

Archived