My first DSC2 Stalk.

Well after two cancellations due to adverse weather conditions the stalk was finally on and what a fantastic morning it was.

5:20am. The alarm clock went off and for once I didn’t hit the snooze button, I quickly dressed and got ready to set off, dogs out for a quick pee and, Oh sh*t! Snow, it was only a light covering and so I just hoped that all would be ok.

5:50am. I set off and the roads were frozen solid, black ice everywhere, I had to pick Martin up at 6:30 and as it was slow going I rang him just to say that I might be 5 minutes late. Temperature is -4.5.

6:35am. Picked Martin up and off to meet up with John the stalker

7:00am. Arrived at meeting point and said hello’s.

7:15am and we’re on the stalking ground, straight away we are seeing both Roe and Fallow slots all over the place, we start to walk over the frozen ground, it’s like walking on Kellogg’s Frosties but slowly we make our way down into the valley. The snow is much deeper here.

DM1.jpg

The odd glimpse of a Roe or two high up in the tree line keeps us alert but they can hear us coming miles away. Then a Roe Doe walks out in front of us about 100 yards away and onto a small clearing. The woodman’s shed is between us so I try and make my way towards her but as I expected the crunching of frozen snow gives me away and she makes for the cover of the woods.

DM2.jpg

We finish this stalk and decide to go up into Fallow country, time is getting on now but John is determined to get me onto a Deer towards my DSC2.

9:00am. We take the 4x4 and drive up towards the top trees at the edge of the moors and as we arrive there were 4 Roe on a field of sugar beet, there was no safe shot so we decided to continue along the rides and see if we could get to the other side of them. As we got to the place where John thought that we might see them they made to the woods and into the tree line. Being quiet was impossible today and there was no wind either so the Deer could hear an Angel fart. :)

9:45am. John and Martin point out a Roe stood on a hill about 160 yards away over a valley, she’s a nice looking doe, I lined her up in my sights, steadied my breathing and let the .308 do the rest. The bullet struck home, the doe jumped up into the air and collapsed where she stood, never flinched after the initial jump. “Good shot” rang in my ears from both Martin and John, thanks guys. *good*

We made our way over to her and John fetched the 4x4 to save us carrying her over the difficult terrain. I checked that she was dead with my sticks (a poke in the eye) and then I did the grallock. Martin has the photo’s of that! The shot placement was perfect. ;) = smug mode. :)

DM3.jpg

DM4.jpg

A superb morning, thanks to John for getting me on this little doe and a huge thanks to Martin for setting it up for me. Cheers mate. *good*

I will be going back and next time I might get a Fallow. :lol:

ps.. Sorry about the photo quality guys, the camera was set to macro! ;)

The next bit courtesy of Martin. Thanks Martin.

Here are some Photos of what he did to the deer after he shot it

Congratulations sorry we could not find a Fallow

The shot at the Roe was spot on beautiful Shot

The following may offend so if you don't like Blood DON'T LOOK

Shot across the valley.

001Distance110yds.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_002.jpg

IMG003.jpg

IMG_004-1.jpg

IMG_005.jpg

IMG_006.jpg

IMG_007.jpg

Oh and DJM, I'll be in touch soon mate. :lol:

Well done mate and a nice start to your level 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thats a nifty way of gralloching a roe using the triple sticks - like that and thanks for the idea!!! ;):lol:

All the best..............

RAY.................................. :):lol:

Thats a nifty way of gralloching a roe using the triple sticks - ..

RAY..............................

Saves the back no doubt but a tad small for a decent red..

The Sherlock Holmes hats would attract a bit of attention in this neck of the woods ;)

Chris-NZ

Saves the back no doubt but a tad small for a decent red..

The Sherlock Holmes hats would attract a bit of attention in this neck of the woods ;)

Chris-NZ

Thanks Guys,

Chris, I've been wearing hats like that for 20 odd years, I feel very comfortable in them, but sometimes people have a dig. ;) I wouldn't wear anything else realy except at night. they're warm and addaptable, but stylish too. I'm sure that Mr Homes (had he have been real) would have been a stalker too! :lol:

As to the sticks, it was the first time that I'd done it like that, and anything larger than a Roe would be no good.

Well done on getting your first stalk under your belt for your level 2.

I have just started mine and have completed ICR 1+2, hope to get the last one signed off soon.

Good luck with the rest of yours and keep us informed.

A great write up and that trick with the sticks I think I might give it a go.

Cheers

Dave

Yes on level 2 you need to remove it in one piece. Also got to show you've tied it off to prevent cross contamination.

Those photo's will be good for Andy to use in his photo evidence in his portfolio.

Cheers

Dave

Yes on level 2 you need to remove it in one piece. Also got to show you've tied it off to prevent cross contamination.

Those photo's will be good for Andy to use in his photo evidence in his portfolio.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers for that Dave god thing's have changed. I was thinking of looking to see if they require DMQ 2 Accredited witness for my area but the paper work side puts me off.

Cheers

Dave

Not nit-picking, but there's no point in knotting the weasun if your going to remove the red/green offal in a oner.

Just a thought

NELL

I was going to knot it but to be frank I didn't see the point, the way that the deer was there was no point at all. It was acceptable as Nell said, and the guide agreed, I did ask by the way. ;) Vmax, don't worry about the paper work, just do it mate, you'll be glad that you did soon if things go the way that is expected. . Thanks for the replies by the way people. :)

Knotting the aesophagus comes into its own if you are removing the entire digestive tract and all internal organs without splitting the chest or aitch bone, this is how I suggest to people to do a field gralloch but at the end of the day as long as the end result is satisfactory and the process is safe and hygienic then that is what matters. Many variable factors come into play such as the size, sex and species of deer and the method by which it will be transported from the site of the field gralloch to the larder. If at all possible, I strongly recomend a suspended gralloch and I like the way the sticks are used in this instance. JC

Knotting the aesophagus comes into its own if you are removing the entire digestive tract and all internal organs without splitting the chest or aitch bone, this is how I suggest to people to do a field gralloch but at the end of the day as long as the end result is satisfactory and the process is safe and hygienic then that is what matters. Many variable factors come into play such as the size, sex and species of deer and the method by which it will be transported from the site of the field gralloch to the larder. If at all possible, I strongly recomend a suspended gralloch and I like the way the sticks are used in this instance. JC

will agree with that mate... least exposed flesh the better.. in the field keep cuts to a minimum..

Pluck is best left in place until back in the larder your going to need it if carcase is bound for export anyway

NELL

It was the way I was taught not to split the chest open in the field, so need to tie oesophagus off so you can pull it through.

Have to agree if you split the chest there's not much point as if you want you could remove it all in one piece without cutting the oesophagus, just leave it all attached to the head and remove at same time.

Cheers

Dave

Archived