Newbi

Dave308

Hi Dave - welcome.

You’re right about the dies, sell one set of .308w and pickup some .243w.

I don’t know what type of dies you have exactly, but generally people will favour either neck sizing dies or full-length sizing dies. I prefer full-length dies because I always bump the shoulder back just a tad each time to ensure a close fit but guaranteed chambering. With neck sizing you will at some point need to full-length size. So you’ll need to decide which dies to keep and which to move on.

I see you have two powder throwers. I would give each a go, with your preferred powder, and choose which one you like the best. Then move the other on. You don’t really need two throwers. And it’s never a good idea to keep powder in your thrower (or anything else) after use. Keep powder in its tub.

Lastly, I’d possibly consider upgrading your press in time. I’ve never used the one you have there but it looks a little on the ‘thin’ side. A beefier one, like a RCBS Rockchucker will likely last you longer. But I’d say my suggestion is not essential nor vital to your loading.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Been shooting a long time but now trying to tip toe through the reloading minefield. Good solid advice on powder throwers and presses. Will probably keep the Lyman turret as its a really heavy cast bit of kit. Just ordered Lyman 50 reloading catalogue.