30 cal

t.t

ok guys your thoughts and experiences are needed

my mate has a 30-06 sako but is putting in a 1 for 1 and is wondering what to go for in 30 cal he originaly thought of a RUM faster and flatter than the 30-06 but the barrel life was to short for him

so all replies will be passed on

thanks in advanced tom

.308, long barrel life, cheaper to load, great accuracy, a little better than 30.06 up to 160grn bullets, lots of magnum calibres to choose from as well, but do you need them for the UK, .308 will drop everything legal on this island.

Some advocate that it's to your advantage to have more gun than you need, but a cock up is the same regardless of the amount of powder burnt.

That's how I see it, those that feel they need more gun fill your boots, I've never felt undergunned with 6mm let alone 30cal.

Pete.

I have a 308 and like it.

The barrel life is a non issue, lots to choose from new and secondhand. Cheap to reload, around 44 grains seem to do most people. Ok the 300 wm may be flatter but how much powder are you putting in. If your mates into dialling then 3 moa or 5 moa it makes no odds.

If wild boar or foreign animals was more his thing then 180 grain plus 30-06 takes some beating. Above this your out of 308 territory really.

A fast miss is still a miss no matter how flat it shoots.

What sort of distances does your mate envisage?

One of my mates had his 30-06 Remmy rebarrelled in 30-06 Ackley Improved.

It handles 180s superbly and all this can be done without the need for a variation.

Ian.

Does he get any extra speed out of it without stoking pressures?? I have one and have never found I got more than a few feet per second without spanking the pressures. The rifle was sold to me as a factory 30-06 and many a time I have wished it truly was.~Andrew

Andrew,

Just like me my mate is a big Ackley Improved fan, he just loves the steep shoulders and the almost straight body taper.

I do believe his plan is to utilise the extra capacity to load top end 180grn 30-06 levels in order to keep pressures below that of the parent case.

Ian.

But doesn't 30.06 already handle 180grn bullets adequately Ian, a natural step up from .308 Win if you feel the need for 180-200grn bullets, surely all the 30cals presently available to us are more than adequate for the larger species that occur naturally in the UK?

Pete.

Yep you are right Pete, i think the main reason for his ackley is looks, the fact that he can push them at top end 30-06 levels with reduced pressure is an added bonus.

Ian.

Bugger, what a disapoinment, here's me expecting a long informative technical diatribe on the benefits of ackleying a 30.06 and it turns out to be merely a "case" of vanity . :rolleyes:

Pete.

308...... ;)

I got two infact and permission for another

got a 300 winnie,,,,,,,, nice tac drivin custom job that I shoot out to 1270,,,,,,,,, nice,,,,,real nice,,,,, really realy nice

use my 308's in prefrence though,,,,,shoot me girls out past 1000, very easy to load, shoot shoot and shoot the shehite outa them and they will love you for it

.30-06 is a great calibre.... as is .308win.

I use .30-06 with 60 gr /b] of imr 4350 and 165 gr sierra gameking. this gives a quickload vel of 2986 fps. this is accurate in my rifle.

A .308 win loaded with 47 br of re 15 and the same bullet gives a quicload velocity of 2847 fps.

the maximum pbr for the .308 win is 181m. for the .30-06 is 188. when zeroed at 100m the difference in drop at 200 is 1.5 cm!

really there is very little to choose. if you look at 150 gr bullets it becomes a really. close call and to save 15 odd gr of powder in each load and have the more readily available brass it might be the case that the .308 is a better call. the .30-06 is notably better with 180 gr plus bullets. but 165 is a big bullet, it is more than capable of all we have in the uk.

I have no experience of AI or the magnum rounds.

swampy

Barrel length is an issue too. If your mate wants a shorter barrel the theroetical difference in performance between the 30-06 and 308 reduces still further. As Swampy said,In practice there is little to choose between them unless shooting the heavier bullets and he'll use less powder.

My 308 shoots 165 gamekings at 2720 chronographed for only 44.5 grains of powder. 24" barrel.

Is the extra 280 fps ( Swampys calculated not real figure) worth the extra 15.5 grains of powder??

Fire 3 shots get one free :D ............. ( well you know what I mean)

I think not but each to their own. :(

Archived