new toy has arrived

alled12

Well lads I have finally got my hands on my new toy. Blaser LRS 2 in .223 with a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56 ballistic turret scope. Currently running it on factory federal ammo while I work up the loads for it. It is easily shooting half inch at hundred yards, My shooting is definetly going to have to improve to make best use of this rifle. For all of you dont know this is the tactical version of the blaser R93 straight pull rifle. It has to be close to one of the strangest looking rifles around. Anyway a few pics below for you to have a butchers at.

lrs1-1.jpg

lrs2.jpg

post-1878-1234492397_thumb.jpg

post-1878-1234492498_thumb.jpg

Like the look of the LRS2's, although not 100% certain about the collet bolt.

They do shoot well.

Grant

Believe it or not its a 1 in 10 twist. I assume this is something to do with the standard nato round being 69 grains. So I shall have to make sure I load something a bit heavier in it. Either a 60 grain V max or sierra offers to bullets at 60 grain and 63 grains. Anyone who has any experience of these I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice. Ronin the bolt is slightly strange when you look at it. No locking lugs. I am told that their are 30 so called petals which lock the bolt in place. You only need three of these to be engaged to be safe to shoot. What is noticeable about this rifle is how concentric everything is. It also happens to be very ergonomic, with a great trigger. If we ever have that uk varminting range day I will bring it along and people can have a go. The only thing that I will say that is a pain is the safety, with the scope so low it can be a little tricky to get the safety catch to disengage, it is only a small inconvienance. The only long term problem is if I want an unusual calibre, it is a unique barrel design, think it might cost me a few pennies for that one. I definetly enjoy shooting it and scope is out of this world. One of my good friends reckoned it was clear looking through it than not.

6mm

I am considering whether to get such a barrel for this rifle, but we shall see. The reviews I have read suggest that 6mmbr barrel is a real shooter. I must admit my first impressions are very very good. I will keep all posted on its development.

Nemisis a new bolt head is about £250 quid, however it just so happens that the bloke who sold me it has a 308 bolt head for it, which he will let me have for £50 quid. Not bad match barrels are about £800 quid a peice screw cut though. I have always been curious why people dont like Blasers, anyone care to expand on this. From my point of view they are probably the most accurate out of the box rifles avialable and the triggers are good. It is a departure from the old designs but they have sold over a million of the R93/LRS rifles. I look forward to hearing the reasons. In the mean time I shall bring it along to the UKV shoot and people who come can have a closer look and a go if they like.

Allied 12,

You asked whats not to like, otherwise I would have kept my mouth shut.

I owned a LRS2 for a couple of years, plus points were the easy cal change and 6.5x55 uses the same bolt head as 308 Win. Incidentally if you ever go down the 6.5x55 route...get 300 Win mag mags for it. You can mod them to take 5 not 4 rounds......the 300WM mags allow a proper COAL, otherwise you end up with 308 Win mags that are too short. Mr Hagspiel at Blaser is good to talk to. Accuracy good enough to 1km.

I did not like bang, bang, click. The stock is a piece of junk for the price - as in not robust. The palm rest can be broken off easily, two screws screw into plastic extrusions with brass inserts inside the pistol grip, the mono pod idea is basic and easy to loose the right side lock screw, same for the cheek piece screw - cheek piece also wobbles and if the but pad screw comes loose the but pad falls off. All of which do not matter on a target rifle, but it is sold as a tactical rifle. By comparison you can jump up and down all week on as AI cheek piece and not hurt it.

Scope mounts...Blaser mount as has been noted on another thread has failed. I ended up having sloped spacers made up for mine so I would get a 20moa angle on it, so that I could reach 1km. The newer picatinny rail on the T2 is better idea that most other rifles were already using.

Trigger...is OK, I can adjust the AI better, both suck compared to an RPA blue trigger.

Before I had the Blaser I had a Sako TRG, if I had to choose between the two....hard choice I prefer the TRG but prefer the Blaser caliber choices.

David.

Dave

It is always good to know the problems that can and have occurred with a rifle make. SO far it has behaved itself. I will keep an eye on the issues you have mentioned. Thanks for the info.

Hi Allied,

A bit more triva......Blaser did or do market a 22LR conversion system for the rifle - this was designed by a Norwegian gunsmith, the same bloke has come up with a way of using part of the Blaser barrel / locking system and an adapter so that other barrels can be screwed into it - if you want a Krieger or whatever, it makes it possible.

I have not seen this system on a Blaser yet....should do by the end of the year, but I have seen the same idea on a Sig SSG3000. Seems to work fine.

If you are hand loading for the Blaser I really would Full-Length resize every time.

David.

ds1

It could be very interesting to know that. So effectively this would allow you to use the system for some un listed calibres such as .22br and 6mm ackley? Any more info on that system at all? I have seen both the .17hmr and .22 conversion for the R93. It would be awful on the LRS. Curious what problems occured when you didnt full length size?

Regards

Alled

Alled,

With full length resizing mine seemed to go 'click' a lot less and 'bang' a lot more.

I have been trying to think of the gunsmiths name....lost it as it sort of became of little interest. However I have seen his work on a Sako with a Hart barrel - looked a very nice job. I will get the name, though it may take me some time before I see someone I know who has it.

David.

Archived