Possible June UKV range day in Devon?

Guest Tiff

There is a 100-600 yard rifle range on the outskirts of Tavistock that could be hired for a day, if enough people are interested (12+).

The range is not MOD so there are no issues there and unless it has changed since last year, insurance through the owning club can be arranged for very little (£1 per person). The range fee for the day would be about £10-15 per shooter. Anything upto 4,500 joules is allowed on the range and this might be back upto 7,000j by the shoot.

The gallery range itself is on farmland and has 6 target lanes/frames in the butts. There are good firing points at 300, 500 and 600 yards. To run the range smoothly it's the usual split into two groups - one shooting and one marking/carrying out RCO and sentry duties.

To be able to hire it we would need 2 RCO's, one for each squad. Even though the land is only farmland, the club don't want people hiring it without RCO's and then shooting on BASC insurance etc etc.

The club doesn't start shooting/open the range until late April. So I was thinking around the start of June for this shoot. The range is shootable between 9am & 4pm, so with a break for lunch and changeovers, 3 hours shooting for each group is feasible.

As for targets, there are traditional TR targets and any personal paper targets could be stapled onto these. I'm sure we could have some sort of Varminting based competition at different targets, at the various distances.

So over to you. What do you think?

Well it looks like the seach for RCO's might not be as hard as I thought.....So this idea should be feasable :blink:

I've looked at the clubs fixtures list for this year and the range appears free on either Sunday 7th or 14th of June.

I'll give the club a call over the weekend and see if it's still ok to hire the range (shouldn't be an issue).

I'll report back when I know more.

Cheers Tiff

Since we seem to have a good number of volunteer RCO's (thanks), at the moment the only problem with hiring the range is insurance......

The clubs NRA policy only covers guest/visiting HO approved clubs. However this could possibly all change, since there are issues with this current policy not allowing rifles over 4,500j - making F-Class difficult!

So at the first range maintenance sessions in mid March I will try to find out more. At the moment (bar the insurance problem) all looks good for the 6th/7th of June :rolleyes:

I will update this thread as and when more is known.

Cheers Tiff

Hi Onehole, unfortunately since we would want the range outright, it would be considered as a visiting club. As such we would need to be HO approved etc, the fact that many of us are already members of other HO clubs doesn't help in this case ;)

Hopefully it can be sorted out......one possibility is to run a 'normal club day', but with only a couple of the club members who shoot other rifles (not old school TR) present. This would cover everyone off this site under the insurance, since UKV members would then become 'guests' under the policy.

It's some what complicated by the club being very traditional target rifle and really only doing 2&10 at 3,5&6. The thought of shooting just for fun with something other than .308, scopes and not serious iron sight target work, seems to pass them by!

I'm sure a solution can be found....its just a case of working out the finer points ;) .

So who's in for the 6 or 7th June?

Archived