Filter for Lamp shy foxs

k_d

Hey again all...

Well i was out again last night for a look around and spotted a pair of eyes in the middle of a field full of sheep. Did not have a good shot at it due to sheep placement!! (dumb animals!)" so didnt fire, will have a look there again tonight.

Came across another in a rather large field, soon as the lamp went on him he bolted to the edge of a wood. out of range. i sat and called him for awhile and when i swithched lamp back on again he had come to the call but bolted soon as the lamp hit him, missed too many times i think.

Anyway someone mentioned i should try a red filter for the lightforce?

any opinions/ advice

cheers

for one dont shoot foxes in with sheep coz soon er or later your going to come unstuck and shoot a sheep secondly most sheep this time of year will be in lamb and either lamping over them or shooting amongst them can lead to them stressing and aborting their young

as for lamp filters tryy an amber

Forget the red filter. It cuts out too much light, while seeing the fox may not be a problem, seeing what's behind the fox will be. Try the Amber/orange filter. I got one for my Striker and it's good.

The only other suggestion I have for you is if you have another person lamping with you then have them hold the light above the fox, just enough to show the eyes. You get set up, a signal to your lamper to drop the lamp on the fox and bang.

I've no problem shooting foxes amongst sheep, just make sure of your backstop, but each to their own :P

for one dont shoot foxes in with sheep coz soon er or later your going to come unstuck and shoot a sheep secondly most sheep this time of year will be in lamb and either lamping over them or shooting amongst them can lead to them stressing and aborting their young

as for lamp filters tryy an amber

Exactly why i didnt take shot, sheep behind him, but if they wernt and i had a shot i would have takin it.

It wasnt my own farm, a neighbours and he has lost lamps allready this season to foxes.

Thanks for the advice on filters, gonna head down to shop later or tomorrow see what they got.

How much does the red filter reduce the length of beam by?

its on a 170 striker

Never had one for my Striker, had one for my Lance (using the shotgun) which I gave away. I had it on for about ten minutes and thought F this, I just couldn't see with it, off it came. First night I spotted a fox out with the amber filter I shot six and picked up five of them. So I'm a little biased. Am sure other people will have different views but it wasn't for me.

i find red is a bit dim on fox, especially when your fields are about 3 - 400yards wide, but amber has a lot more reach. just changed to green and had some good results.

red is good for rabbits though.

Forget the red filter. It cuts out too much light, while seeing the fox may not be a problem, seeing what's behind the fox will be. Try the Amber/orange filter. I got one for my Striker and it's good.

The only other suggestion I have for you is if you have another person lamping with you then have them hold the light above the fox, just enough to show the eyes. You get set up, a signal to your lamper to drop the lamp on the fox and bang.

I've no problem shooting foxes amongst sheep, just make sure of your backstop, but each to their own :P

I have to agree with you John , if that fox is in a field full of new born lambs ,he isnt there just to look at them, he thinks its dinner time , and if the shot is on and safe ,he's got to go ;)

Hi KD

Totally agree with the lads regarding the red filters, the amber is much better.

But when using the lamp the best thing is being able to have the light adjustable on a dimmer, you hardly need any light to see the brightness of a foxes eyes, and you have the option of reaching out with the light when required. :D:(

Dimmable amber :P;) I use two Blitz's, one white light and one with the IR filter for the NV, and a 170 with the amber filter, all adjustable have to say you have made a great choice on the Lightforce.

In fact I've just checked and I have a red filter for your 170, it's yours for the cost of the P&P.

Cheers

Steve

Guest magwa1962

FORGET the filter once a fox is lampshy it stays that way filter or not, you have even rendered it call shy now after calling and blitzing it with a light its now what you would call an educated fox, even if you call through daylight hours that fox will stay well clear, only way to get him is to lay out dead bait the smellier the better and wait.

Regards Jimmy

I USE SKUNK GLAND LIQUID...its bloody humming, works good for the foxes though

only way to get him is to lay out dead bait the smellier the better and wait.

Well i might just be able to do that, have a mate butchering a deer this eve so i might throw the carcass in the field for a while and camp out!

Guest magwa1962
Well i might just be able to do that, have a mate butchering a deer this eve so i might throw the carcass in the field for a while and camp out!

Heres an old trick...

get a battery operated (small) clock not the digital type, anchor it to the grond, then tie fishing gut round the battery and slot it in ,set to correct time ,then tie a small carcass to the other end of the gut and leave it in the field, foxy will come along and take the bait , pulling the battery out so the clock stops you back and look it will have stopped the clock, you will then know roughly when to sit out and watch for him, "OLD CHARLIE" is a creature of habit and follws the same paths around the same time, terrotary thing.

GOOD LUCK

Regards Jimmy

Archived