Sako 284 Win

Bit different in terms of action used 

Sako AV / 691 (I think at the transition bettween the two action designations), that arrived to be in a sorry state, in 6mm Remington - worn out barrel

The action has in the past already been trued by Steve Bowers, so no work needed at all there.

The stock was a well used Mcmillan Sako Varmint with battered recoil pad

The spec from the customer being make it good again - its a working rifle.

So I ordered a stainless Sassen 8.5 twist in med sporter profile to replicate the barrel profile taken off - the chosen calibre being 284 Win using Non lead in the range 120 - 130 g 

The barrel was fitted, chambered in 284 Win SAAMI spec and finished with M15x1mm thread and a protective cap

Whilst the barrelled action was at proof I fitted a Kick Eeze recoil pad and trimmed to fit - real messy job

When the barrel came back, it was taken along with bolt and small parts to Geoff at Liquid Steel Design, who has been applying my Ceracote and Duracoat for years

As always first class job

Rifle now on route to the sunny south and a life of knocking over reds and fallow

IMG-0132.jpg

IMG-0138.jpg

IMG-0135.jpg

IMG-0140.jpg

IMG-0137.jpg

IMG-0136.jpg

IMG-0139.jpg

I believe the rifle will be load developed for 120-130 g monolithic which should provide excellent VO in the parent case to allow expansion from near to “far” distances

I'm currently  on with another 284 for another client - this is in a 695 action and the improved varient of the case for 180 ‘s and steel plate use 

The 284 is certainly a versatile number - having used   6.5 x284 and 284 improved for years on deer and targets I can attest to that 

I had the rifle built originally. It was in 6mm rem ackley. The action was new from Macleods as they used to import actions only a long time ago. Steve spent a long time trying that action. If you look closely at the bolt it has been sleeved and trued for less slop.

It went to a friend in the south west who used it successfully for culling for quite a while. 

G

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

I believe the rifle will be load developed for 120-130 g monolithic which should provide excellent VO in the parent case to allow expansion from near to “far” distances

I'm currently  on with another 284 for another client - this is in a 695 action and the improved varient of the case for 180 ‘s and steel plate use 

The 284 is certainly a versatile number - having used   6.5 x284 and 284 improved for years on deer and targets I can attest to that 

Sounds great stuff!

I'm having a punt at Match Rifle - Any rifle extras next week out at 1k 1.1k and 1.2k yds with the 7x64 and a 180gr ELD-M. Should be "interesting"

Scrummy

• 2 weeks later...

Some images from initial load development from the owner of the rifle:

First Three shots, clean bore (140 Accubonds)

cd749cf4-38dc-4d45-8b25-3183744f04ed.jpg

Load dev from there

fb265799-df56-44b9-908c-aac6b83ab6f7.jpg

2811813f-7339-40ed-bad6-0b0e0973fa2d.jpg

49.5 g would be my choice...it appears to shoot rather well 😀