1st fox with rifle

k_d

well guys,new to the forum so hello to all.

being shooting a year or so,mainly game and fox the odd sunday with the terriers and got my 1st rifle befiore christmas there.

Got my 1st fox with the new rifle the other night. I got the rifle before christmas but havnt had a chance to get out much at all. I took it out when i got it and broke the barrel in slowly over a couple of days, shot here and there and targets, nothing too accurate, just put cheap rounds and cleaned and so on.

Anyway, i took last friday evening off after going into local gunshop and getting a range of ammo to try.

The Rifle is a tikka t3 lite in 223 with a 1 in 8" twist fitted with a wildcat mod and burris fullfield II 3.5-10 x 50

The bullets were

1. Remington 55g umc. FMJ

2. remington 50g umc HP

3. Hornady 55g V-max

Thanks to Clivej for the Targets!

couldnt get pics to work so heres the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29000602@N05/3254827085/

Now the top left is the first grouping, the 2 shots left are just after cleanin the barrel, the 2 in the bull are next 2 and the one in the 1" high spot the third was after adjusting to hit 1" high at 100yrd

These grouped very well.

The top Right was with the the 50g HP.

as you can see a bit scattered but still fine for the fox.

The third was the hornady vmax, thats 3 shots in those 2 holes. I adjusted the scope 2 clicks to the left and 2 clicks up and hoped i was set for the 1st night out.

So i finally got out on monday night and covered some of my own land first and straight away i spotted a pair of eyes in the middle of the field. i switched off the lamp and got ready for the shot. switched back on and they were gone, scanned the field and seen another pair at bottom of field,in bushes against a nice ditch, squeezed and result. first fox. stepped it down field, a nice 162 steps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29000602@N05/3255653274/

a nice size vixen.pic taken with phone so no the best.

tried another field that a local farmer has spotted a few, which is also beside a chicken farm, 3 pairs of eyes.all out off range, tried calling no luck.ill leave them for another night.

again thaks to clivej for the targets, recession and all that!!

well done on your first fox :wacko: stick with the Hornady 55g V-max good fox fodder :wacko:

Welcome to the forum, hope you have fun here and looking forward to more of your posts.

The rifle looks to be shooting well and its always great to christen a new gun.

Cheers

Dave

welcome to the site and well done!!!!! ;)

Have a enjoyable stay!!!!! ;)

All the best.................

RAY.................................. ;) ;)

Archived