.357 magnum question

biged85

Hi All,

Got plenty of experience reloading bottleneck cartridges etc but not straight wall pistol calibres.

I have a Henry Big Boy in .357 and was kindly donated some PPU Brass, 158gr SWC lead bullets and Ramshot Enforcer powder. (not an ideal combination)

I have found load data for a 158 grain bullet with enforcer (12.5 grains minimum load) at a COL of 1.590. However, if I want to crimp into the cannelure on the PPU bullet then the COL would end up being around 1.546

So my question is, would it be a safe load? I imagine pressure would be increased. 

(I have loaded some dummy rounds only so not sure of the amount of space the powder will take up)

Ed

Haven't really reloaded for the 357 Magnum since they took away my Colt Python (1998), but here's my two pennies worth.

Enforcer is for full power magnum pressure loads really, like 2400, H110, and W296. So unless your lead bullets are hard-cast and gas-checked, I wouldn't use this powder with them. The powder is suited to the aforementioned type of bullet, or a jacketed.

It would be best to get a multipurpose type of powder, like Unique, N340, and load the rounds those bullets are used in to 38 Special level pressures.

3 hours ago, BlueBoy69 said:

Haven't really reloaded for the 357 Magnum since they took away my Colt Python (1998), but here's my two pennies worth.

Enforcer is for full power magnum pressure loads really, like 2400, H110, and W296. So unless your lead bullets are hard-cast and gas-checked, I wouldn't use this powder with them. The powder is suited to the aforementioned type of bullet, or a jacketed.

It would be best to get a multipurpose type of powder, like Unique, N340, and load the rounds those bullets are used in to 38 Special level pressures.

Hi Blueboy,

With the lack of shops open, I think I will take your advice and source some jacketed bullets online then, source a different powder for these lead bullets at a later date.

many thanks

3 hours ago, 1066 said:

I regularly load .357 for my Winchester 94AE with 158gn cast lead bullets but these are fairly low accurate loads for our 25 yard indoor range. I use 4.5gn Unique for around 1,050 fps.

thanks 1066