picking up foxes.

Guest bobjs

I was told a few months ago NEVER to hold a dead fox by its tail.

i can not remember the disease that can be transmitted to you, but it ain't a good one.

bob.

what do you know.

I was told a few months ago NEVER to hold a dead fox by its tail.

i can not remember the disease that can be transmitted to you, but it ain't a good one.

bob.

what do you know.

By a front leg, they usually still have one attached and with gloves on.

I can't afford to take any nasties home :wacko:

best way i have found is grab one front leg and one rear Opersit back leg in one hand .. :wacko:

I am not aware of anything that nasty that can be passed on from foxes, they do cary mange and I suppose you could carry a mite and pass it on to your pet. If anyone knows what is nasty here please tell me.

Rats though can be very nasty and should never be touched with ungloved hands, risk of weils disease, causes liver failure. I have a keeper friend who was given the last rights some years ago but managed to pull through, he had weils disease.

A

Just knew the german word for it, (Fuchsbandwurm) something like a

tape worm that the fox carries and the eggs pass out the rear end.

Humans can pick these up . Get into the human body via mouth and

end up in the liver, lung or brain where the parasite creats something that looks like a tumor.

Death in about 8 years.

Never heard of it in Ireland, but on the continent it is very serious.

edi

every time i pat or rub down my dogs i wash my hands ..tape worms ect put me off biteing my nails :rolleyes:

I've always carried a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves for handling vermin carcases. Best to be safe than sorry and it takes so little effort to be safe. Whilst I am unaware of specific ectoparasites, it is possible that there are a number of nasties that can be picked up from foxes, rabbits etc., fleas being the least of them, I should imagine. Foxes harbour several types of endoparasites, mainly worms, none of which you or your pets would find desirable.

Peter

I knew there was something that we need to be carfull of,

i carry rubber gloves for stalking etc,

so it looks like they will be used with the charlies in future.

bob.

thank you all.

As well as any worms etc they stink and it doesnt wash off even bleach doesnt shift it right away, so steer clear of the rear end legs and tail, just pick up bya front leg or scruff of neck if still there. I use rubber gardening gloves and give them a wipe with Domestos.

Redfox

There are two nasties, both of which I can't remember the names of. The first is extremely dangerous and attacks the liver but it's vary rare to find in foxes in this country as well as Europe, if I remember rightly it's more common in the US.

The second is the worm that attaches itself to the back of the retina causing blindness in that eye, young children are very susceptible to this one and is carried by all canines.

There is a third and it causes you to forget important names as above!

I have to say I have probably been very lucky over the past 25 years or so as I have always handled them without gloves. Most of the time now I leave them where they are unless they are in a sensitive area.

bob,

Just remembered this site: thefoxwebsite.org/disease/index.html

It should give you some insight into the matter.

The whole site is likely to be of interest to fox shooters: thefoxwebsite.org/index.html

Peter

Cheers Pete.

seems Elwood has sussed it all tuo ew deen neht ot rebmemer,

obo. :rolleyes:

My terriers have rolled in fox that which promotes growth and vigour ever since I've had dogs and they've all died of old age. Gun dogs work all the time in contact with fox piss and that which promotes growth and vigour.

I've always picked up Toby by his tail and as yet have never been made ill .

I'm not poopooing the chance of catching something, suffice to say that these diseases are worst case scenario and all the people I've ever shot with have picked them up by the tail and as of yet still regularly continue to do so without ill effect.

We'll be shooting in fluoro vests, ear protectors, toetectors, eye protection et al. if we worry about every possible danger involved in shooting.

We've lived alongside fox for millions of years and if the government thought they presented sufficient danger I'm sure they would order total eradication.

We live on an island thankfully and a great many parasites that are prevalent in mainland Europe can only be passed from host to host , our fox is probably more of a sub species of it's cousins in Europe and I realise that raptors may carry disease across the water but it would seem unlikely to have a great effect on our population.

How many of us have found a dead fox in a state of putrefication and completely untouched by scavengers. We have a huge population of kites and buzzards here and have yet to see any of them eating fox, I don't suppose the birds in Europe are any more fond of them than ours.

I'd be more concerned about toxacara canis and toxacara cati which comes free with every pooch and moggy we buy and handle with loving frequency :rolleyes:

Pete [ just an old fashioned bugger ]

I think what you are talking about is ECHIOCOCCUS MULTILOCULARIS, its as some of the guys have stated a form of worm , which attacts the heart and more so the liver, quite common in Europe , but then again so is Rabies.

There have been cases in the UK but is not that common.

Nasty all the same , I always try and use gloves ,if not I grab a hand full of grass before I grab a leg

Archived