FOXES IN THE LAMBING FIELDS

nemasis243

Had a call Sunday to go and have a look at some land which is a smallholding belonging to a 72yr old lady who is one tuff old cooky.

She has always had problems with foxes and has had a guy from the local village you tried to nail them with a shotgun , but last season he manages to catch up with 2 :o .

Anyway got down there last night about 7 and got the gear ready , me and my mate were standing by the car when we heared the sheep going mental , we rushed down to the first small paddock and ficked the lamp on , there were 3 foxes in with the lambs in a 1/2 acrea field , this was not good.

They were pushing the sheep and lambs round and round the paddock trying to seperate the lamb from the uwe,

They didnt give a hoot about the light,all they wanted was fresh meat, I got set up and followed a fox untill he was clear , the red dot from my illuminated scope stopped on his shoulder and Bang , Number 1 down , the other foxes didnt know what to do , the first ran into the sheep netting and sqeezed through into a lane and across into another field, I swung round and followed him as there was no hedge rows only sheep netting both sides of the track,

As he got to about 140yrds away he slowed up to a quick walking pace , I gave him a call ,he looked back and that was enough to put an end to him.

The 3rd fox had gone in the opposite direction and had gone into thick cover, we moved 100yrds up the lane and I had a call, next thing this head rose up from the long grass and a 58grner said hello :o

26012009403.jpg

23012009398.jpg

18112008312.jpg

We then moved down through the fields having a scan and a call if we felt it was worth it as the ground was surrounded by a huge moor.

We got to good fantage point and I started calling while my mate went for a p**s .

Within 20seconds here come charlie like a rocket across the field towards me , I stopped calling but he kept commimg , my buddy was half way through what he had to do , I had the lamp and my rifle was on its bipod laying beside me on the floor, the fox was about 40yrds awst and still comming ,so I coughed, this was enough to stop him ,he just stood there and sat down , as he did this my mate took the lamp and I picked up the gun and sorted the problem out. :P

26012009400.jpg

As we made our way back we picked up two more foxes ,

One of which was a Vixon that had had her cubs as they had been suckling from her and all the fur on her belly was gone and she was full of milk.

26012009405.jpg

its a shame I know but these things happen, but the lambs comes first as this is someones living.

23012009398.jpg

I knocked on the farm door and this little old lady answerd and when I told her how we got on she couldnt believe it, when I got home from work I had such a fantastic message on the answer phone , it really made me feel good inside, so another look is penciled in for the end of the week weather permittimg.

Well done Andy on another good number of foxes.

I`ve always found it a bit strange how some farmers have trouble with foxes taking lambs every year, but other farmers never get a problem. Perhaps it`s bred into them in certain area`s!

lambing startin up here in about 2 weeks so i'll be doin alot from then on, i know the foxes are on the farm which i work at, however havent had a chance to get out at them yet!

Nemasis, once again good effort, you certainly have some foxes down your way!

Hi Andy

Nice shooting mate , and you caught the buggers in the act too!!!!!

One happy lady i am sure!!!! :P

All the best Captin................... :o

RAY................................ :D:o

No wonder she's happy Andy,she thinks she's pulled,you wait till you get there next time,she'll be in all of her finery mate..............watch out.

Hey,just a thought mate,she aint that one off that site is she mate........you know,the one with the shoulders :o ......lol

Martin.

nice going ,i bet you whish every outing would be the same as this one ;)

Another cracking result. Do you ever miss Andy ?????????????

Yep mate I do miss! :o

I MISS being able to go foxing when its RAINING!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

On a serious note, we all miss at some stage :(

Its the same as anything the more you do the more comfortable you feel doing it,

Many years ago when I started ,it seemed to be more important to take the shot (as long as it was safe) rather than try and get a more comfortable or stable shooting position ;) , I put that down to being ignorant, but you learn by your mistakes over the years ;) .

No wonder she's happy Andy,she thinks she's pulled,you wait till you get there next time,she'll be in all of her finery mate..............watch out.

Hey,just a thought mate,she aint that one off that site is she mate........you know,the one with the shoulders ;) ......lol

Martin.

DO you mean BEV the Rev, there Martin,

You know what they say , "an old one closing is as good as a new one opening" :o:lol::lol:

Nice one Andy!What scope/rifle/caliber combo do you use for most of your foxing?-Regards Toby

Hi Toby my favorite that I use the most is a Tikka 558 243win with a Border 26inch heavy tube on it ,in a 1-10 twist, On the top is a Doctor Optid illuminated dot 8x56 , ( I have had loads of different scopes but seem to keep going back to this ) I shoot 58grn Vmax through it using 43 Vit 140powder.

Dave (6mmbr) and myself did some work with the chrono and their doind 3800,

Their Very flat and very accurate and things dont walk away from them when their hit.

I have done so much with this gun it just feele like part of me , its the 3rd tube on it since I had it

10092008211.jpg

its the top one of the two, the lower one is my tikka 595 in 6mmbr with a pacnor tube on it , it was biult by Dasherman and is very accurate for long distance stuff.

cheers Andy

Nice pair of Tikkas there Andy, you must be a man on my own heart, i just dont know what it is about the old Tikkas, they just seem such a very well built rifle, i will need to get my line up photoed one day and show you fellas, shame i had to go an ruin it by buying a remmy 700, but thats just for a little project which ive had in mind for awhile! haha!

Nice going Andy,

Always nice to see the results at the end of the day and a nice piece of kit too,

Shame about pulling the old girl though, i got a hell of a scary image in my head of her opening the door to you looking like the gremlin in the bar from the gremlin film dressed like a tart. :lol::lol::lol::blush:;)

cheers

chris ;)

Archived