RS52 and 52gr .223 load data.

martin_b

Guys Ive got some RS52 that I was going to use exclusivly for 6.5CM, however I've been given some Matchking 52GR HPBT that should work well in my old Tkka M55 and Ive got plenty of old brass however Im not sure the RS52 is suitable with these light bullets, and I cant find any load data.   So are they a Match made in Heaven or a complete non starter?

Hi Martin

I tried RS52 with 55gr and couldn't get enough powder in the case, even with a compressed load, to reach good velocities.

I used RS40 (same process, next burn rate up) instead which turned out perfect for 52 / 55gr.

The RS52 is fantastic for the ~80gr bullets out of a long throated rifle.

Kind Regards

H

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin

I had a 30" barrel and 3500 to 3600 fps was quite achievable with the right powder for 52gr / 55gr e.g. RS40.

The loads with RS52 maxed out at about 3350 fps with as much as I could get in the case (probably an unpublishable amount).

I also noted that VV N140 was pretty close for velocities when loaded to the same charges as RS52 (RS52 was about 50fps faster on average).

So you might be able check out the N140 data and compare with what you already have. They seem to show compressed loads as well.

Incidentally I had that barrel cut down to 16" and a load with 52gr at 3500fps was reduced to 3180fps (that was IMR4198), which isn't bad I think.

Kind Regards

Henry