possible probs with T8 mod

Hello all.

a quick question to see if i'm right in thinking there is a problem with my T8 sound moderator . i bougnt my T8 mod new 11months ago it is fitted to a Sako 85 in .243 the mod/rifle has gone through less than 400 rounds. if the mod gets wet it gets dried and lightly oiled with wd40 i dont fire long quick shot strings normally i fire 3-5 shot groups, the barrel does get warm not hot but the mod hot.

from the first few months i noticed some rust marks appearing around the 1cm(approx) plug on the side of the mod, what i have noticed over the past month or two is the thin neoprene cover (2-3mm thick) has a hole where this plug is. i changed around the cover and shot some rounds and the hole (1.5cm) appeares over where this plug is.

i take it this is not normal for gases to excape out the side plug ,but is it dangerous and do i need to stop shooting . i did contact the RFD who i got the mod from some time back but have not had chance to return it yet.

all advice welcome ....espically for my peice of mind....................neil

Hello all.

a quick question to see if i'm right in thinking there is a problem with my T8 sound moderator . i bougnt my T8 mod new 11months ago it is fitted to a Sako 85 in .243 the mod/rifle has gone through less than 400 rounds. if the mod gets wet it gets dried and lightly oiled with wd40 i dont fire long quick shot strings normally i fire 3-5 shot groups, the barrel does get warm not hot but the mod hot.

from the first few months i noticed some rust marks appearing around the 1cm(approx) plug on the side of the mod, what i have noticed over the past month or two is the thin neoprene cover (2-3mm thick) has a hole where this plug is. i changed around the cover and shot some rounds and the hole (1.5cm) appeares over where this plug is.

i take it this is not normal for gases to excape out the side plug ,but is it dangerous and do i need to stop shooting . i did contact the RFD who i got the mod from some time back but have not had chance to return it yet.

all advice welcome ....espically for my peice of mind....................neil

hi i had one of the new ones just on the weld a small round spot appeared ,eventually a pin hole so i sent it back .there is a lot of pressure in there so you should not use it .they gave me a new one

Griffshrek I would contact Peter Jackson.

The baffles and internal section appear to have what is known as plug welding which gives the round dot you describe as they have been machined back. I think without seeing it that one of these plug welds is not welded correctly and therefore not sealing.

I have two of these and neither exhibits any leaks.

I would follow irishguns advice and not use it till a solution is found.

I had a problem with a T8 still within the guarantee period, talked it over with Jacksons and they agreed a deal for an Ase Utra in part ex.You can only do this if your ticket says unknown make of mod for your rifle,if it is listed as say REFLEX on your ticket then you would have to do a variation.Not an answer to your question but food for thought? good luck anyway. onehole

ASE have a new mod on the go by the name Northstar I believe. It's an overbarrel mod. I know you can get T8's either replaced free or replaced for a certain amoung of £ in exchange. If it were me I'd try and get that amount of money off an ASE mod. I've heard T8 and they do good sound supression, but I've seen too many with pinholes and rusting issues to be comfortable with them.

Archived