First Fox.

Vermincinerator

Hi Guys,

Due to my disability i don't get the opportunity to go out very often, turning down many an invitation to have a crack at some vermin.

Yesterday Alycidon contacted me and asked if i fancied a try at some foxes he had spotted over the last few days, feeling up to it i took him up on his kind invetation.

I arrived at Aly's place at about 8.00 pm and he took me down to where the fox's had been sighted.

At Aly's suggestion i set up on the edge of a patch of cultivated ground sewn to a game crop, giving possible shots to the first verge of about 80yds and onto about 130 to the second verge to my left.

Having an early start the next morning Aly left me to it and made his way back to the house

I got my 6BR Cooper ready, cranked the scope down to 8x and scanned the verges.

Easy shot to the first verge but a slight crown in the land visible from the prone position may have hindered a longer shot to the second verge.

Once set up i put one up the spout, flicked the safety on and got myself comfortable for the wait.

I enjoyed watching the many rabbits of all sizes including a black one, and a plump cock pheasant.

I regularly scanned the area with my bi-nos and revelled in the tranquility of it all.

It was while reaching for the bi-nos that out of the corner of my eye i spotted a tall light figure outlined against the bushes, i put the bi-nos on it to confirm it was a fox, lay down to take aim, flicked the safety off and put the cross hairs behind its right elbow.

I had to chase him round for a few seconds with the cross-hair because he was presenting a quartering away shot, which i was going to take but then he presented side on. With my pulse racing and erratic breathing i let off a 68grn Berger.

He went straight down, front right leg twitched for a few seconds, then all was still, except for my excitement and pounding heart.

Time was 9.57pm. It took several minutes for me to calm down and i decided to wait and see if its mate would appear, by twenty past ten i could not see effectively enough and unloaded the rifle, it then started to rain so i decided to pack up.

Aly examined the corpse this morning and commented on my nicely place chest shot and also that it was in fact a 2/3 grown vixen.

I had a great time and left with an ear to ear smile.

Once again thanks to Alycidon for the invite and i hope to have a go again in the not to distant future.

Ian.

PS. Photos pending.

Glad you had a good result Ian almost felt as if i were there with you the way you described it ,hope you get a good result on your next outing

Hi ian, sorry to hear you dont get out often :( But so glad you had such a exciting and enjoyable hunt!!!!

Savour it buddy and nice one on the fox ;) ;)

All the best...............

RAY.................... :D :D

Going foxing can be better than a sugar coated pill,

enjoyed that read.

You did better than I did yesterday, when i called a fox the

bugger was standing 4yds next to me and ran off, managed

to shoot him on the run. Missed 4 times then plop. Scattergun

would have been handier.

edi

Well done Ian, thats another pheasant scoffer out of the way.

It was a perfectly executed chest shot, a very lightly coloured vixen, almost certainly the same one that I had seen the evening before. Ironically it dropped right on the cat food that I had put out earlier.

Pics might be a while as I use an APS camera, only a pic of a dead fox though. Have to get him out to shoot another one as soon as he feels up to it, you can see the man and his Cooper smokepole in all its not inconsiderable glory..

Need to go and re cat food the plot now !!.

A

Thanks lads,

I suffer form a rare muscular disease which leaves me disabled with walking difficulties and overall weakness.

Flat level ground is not a problem for me, so i'm okay on the range, its when the terrain becomes uneven that i really start to struggle

Lying in the grass the other night put my back out but i will soon be up and able again. ;)

It was well worth it!

Ian.

Archived