Brass problems

shrek

Hi guys, having some issues with my 308 lapua brass at the moment.

Its only had one firing through it, and not particularly hot loads either, i collect all my brass together and separate the seperate lots depending on the number of firings they have had.

I ultrasonic clean my brass, my sequence is ultrasound for 20 or so minutes in just off boiling water with about 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water mix (makes a good job too)

Then once cleaned they are then dropped into cold water to dilute any acidic vinigar residue left

And left overnight to dry next to the aga

However this last batch that i have done has become hard, as if its on its 3 or 4 firing. Stuck a case when resizing and how now pretty much written off my dies for accuracy loads trying to get it out :D

Will this be due to my way of cleaning with the hot water, or somthing else.

Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Shrek

There is a proper kit from Midway UK stuck case remover does it without damage to dies. I would think it is the case lube your using mostly, I use the RCBS case lube in a plastic bottle not the spray type and it is really good, very little needed on the pad and never had a stuck case with it.

Redfox

I dont think that the cleaning solution (in this dilution) would harden the brass to the extent it has hardened.

More of a lube issue, try Imperial Sizing wax from Trent Firearms or Sinclair, you dont need alot and it works very well indeed, yet to have a stuck case (and you know how much I reload!)

The cases were well lubed up, with an unknown solution in a white plastic bottle which i was kindly donated by Mr Mike Norris a good while ago,

It was more the amount of force needed to exert to resize the brass which worried me, far more than usual first fires, checked the dies and theres no burrs or damage inside (which i could see)

I'll give them another go in preparation for warcop!

Er Shrek

Was its Mike "special" white solution :lol::lol:;);)

Seriously, Imp Sizing Wax is damn good stuff, it takes quite a bit of effort to FL size WSM or 338LM brass and its a breeze with wax, I dont use anything else and if you put a light dab on your fingers then smear over a case, there is usually enough residual to do 5 or 6 other cases - you dont need much.

Archived