Knecking down .30-06 cases.

badsworth

(Sorry if I spelt 'knecking' wrong!).

Folks I reload brass for my .25-06. The last lot of Remington brass was pricey (£56 from 'Sportsman Gun Centre' for 100 cases) but only a limited range of manufacturers offer .25-06 brass.

I know that the cases are 'knecked' down .30-06 cases, and wonder if it would be worthwhile getting some and doing it myself if it is not too difficult.

Does anyone do it?

How hard is it and what exactly would I need to buy and from whom?

Would I need to apply heat to the cartidges before or after the procedure?

Are there any (additional) risks involved ?

Many thanks

Badsworth

:)

There are several makers of 25-06 brass besides Remington, I would try Reloading Solutions Direct in Oxford for your brass. They are very helpfull and do a good mail order service. Tim Hannams are also worth a try in Yorkshire.

It is not just a straight forward necking down of the brass, the length differs and it will work harden the brass. I would definitely not recommend home annealing of the brass, despite all the protestations of those who " have been doing it for years", it is impossible for the home loader to do it properly without a fair investment in kit and it isnt worth it for a std cal.

Wildcat cal shooters are in a different place as they cant buy off the shelf cases but the same applies.

There is a good article on www.6mmbr.com website and there is a guy who has made the kit to do it better and a link to a dutch guy who is making the machine for sale, but as said it isnt worth it for a std cal.

The price does sound high for rem cases, but all metals particularly non ferrous have risen dramatically in price in the last 1-2 yrs, which has affected case prices plus panic buying in the USA and supplying the various wars around the world, so cheap cases are not coming back anytime soon.

Article here, http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Redfox

Thankyou Redfox - that is exactly the kind of honest opinion I was hoping for. I think I will just shop around as you suggest. Winchester brass is cheaper (but not as good) and Cabelas in the States offer 100 Remington cases for roughly £30 + postage.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks

B

Been running a 25-06 for years as my secondary stalking rifle, (well its #1 at the moment as the "284" is in the dock)

I use Rem or Winchester brass with a 3/4 of circumfirance neck turn (clean up) to even out the neck wall thickness variances, trim all to length and I have quite good brass that works well in a very accurate rifle.

Personally, I wouldnt bother necking down 30-06 or 270 brass to 25-06 in a stalking / hunting rifle.

I do do it for some rifles that are used for target shooting though.

Archived