Scope from the US

sandtrap

I have a friend in Texas , if he buys a scope for me ($750) and then sends it to me, can he send it so I won’t pay an arm and a leg import duty ? 
even gifts are liable if there over $40 I think 

but could he mark it’s value at say $100 ? 

It’s a gamble. I’m sure you have been around long enough to read the numerous topics on this scenario. But I will humour you. 

Firstly you haven’t mentioned if said item is of police/military genre. Very hard to determine and can’t be confidently assessed only on the premise it doesn’t have a mil radian type reticle. 

secondly if let’s say said scope isn’t second hand had is in a sealed box the declaration is fraud. I don’t know how they would treat your friend in the USA. But I’m pretty sure one chap one here was caught and said friend is no longer allowed to post international. I’m not going to name him he will read this topic and speak up if he wishes. 

Best case is you save ITAR paperwork, VAT and duty

Worst case you don’t get a scope and you and your pal are both put on watch lists. 

for the sake of £150 ish. It’s not something I could be bothered with. 

i would think if you intend to defraud the VAT man, its probably best not to advertise the fact on a public shooting forum.

VAT and tax are payable by everyone, it pays for silly things like the NHS.