Caldwell Co ax rest

A friend has one, and though i,ve not seen it, he rates it highly, and shoots some pretty good groups off it.We are shooting 600 benchrest on sunday, so i,ll have a squint at it. They,ve gotta be right for the money, though the seb is not a load more if you import it yourself [which is ridiculously easy] I have a seb, and its faultless.

Brian Fox is now handling SEB in the UK so I am not sure if a direct supply option is still available, Brian's site is saying £425 plus carriage so maybe £440. The SEB site says $500 ish plus carriage etc, so it maybe £50 cheaper direct.

This Caldwell at $240 (so maybe £200) plus VAT, duty, carriage etc should come out at under £300 direct from the US. Dont know if any English Caldwell stockists are selling it though.

A

Since found this http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage....leItemID=956104

I have a SEB, its fantastic so this is my biased opinion.

The Caldwel looks like it ticks the right boxes, but, I notice that the vertical post is offset, having a 22lb F Class or BR rifle resting on the top bag on an offset post cannot be good - there will (IMHO) be some twisting or bending of the metalwork at the joints.

The Farley has a single vertical post, but its in the centre (no twsiting) and the SEB is a twin vertical post design...

For normal range use I think the Caldwell would be just great, but for competition I would personally be inclined to spend a little more and get the SEB or Farley.

As far as competition shooters go, my mate who won the first F Class UK shoot uses a Farley, Vince uses a SEB, as does several other top class shooters, they are absolutely bomb proof (well the top bag material is a little thin (it rips if you forget to remove a bipod stud :lol: and the bubble is in a silly / exposed place (again if one forgets to remove the bipod stud :o )- that it)

Like I say, not knocking it for the sake of it, it looks a good design, the criticism made is what immediately jumps out at me, I have used Caldwell rests in the past and they work just great.

Had a good squint at several of these today, and they are pretty good. Ronin,s fears of flex appear to be unfounded with the rifles i saw today sat on them, ie light gun class rifles [under 17lbs]

However, most had removed the crappy bag, and securing system, and replaced them with home made items.

Looks a good economical rest, if you can do a little "modification". :)

As far as competition shooters go, my mate who won the first F Class UK shoot uses a Farley, Vince uses a SEB, as does several other top class shooters, they are absolutely bomb proof (well the top bag material is a little thin (it rips if you forget to remove a bipod stud :) and the bubble is in a silly / exposed place (again if one forgets to remove the bipod stud :D )- that it)

Like I say, not knocking it for the sake of it, it looks a good design, the criticism made is what immediately jumps out at me, I have used Caldwell rests in the past and they work just great.

I hope to have a closer look at that Farley once my 20BR is finished, as you say he certainly likes his.

A

Farley are double the price of SEB and not IMHO worth the extra.

They will deal with you direct and you can negotiate on the value of the parcel if you understand me..

Archived