.222 Help

6mmBR

A friend of mine has asked me to load some .222 ammo for him.

I have 40 Vmax 55 vmax available and Vit N133 and 135 any ideas on a recipe, his rifle is a CZ.

Also will set to SAAMI length if somone has it off hand?

Cheers all

Dave

Off the top of my head the length is 2.130''

I found 40 grain hollow points good with 21 grs 4198. Not used them powders so can't help but.........

Vit manual says 22.8 to 25.2 grs 133 with 40 gr head.

" " " 21.6 to 22.4 full case 135 with 55 gr head.

Thanks lads, it's not a caliber I've been involved with so your help is much appreciated.

I want to try to make Simon a load out of components I have.

Thanks for your responses

Dave

Hi Dave,

Vit 133 - go with 24gr max for the 40's and and 23gr max with the 55's, don't have to tell you about working up but the loads are good in my deuce.

Don't know about the vit 135 but 130 is a belter of a powder for 50gr v-max.

All the best and good luck,

Jay.

Thanks Jay, always great to go along with some practical experience.

Will try the 40gn V max and work up to 24 grains. I thought a fast powder was the way to go and Vit N133 is the fastest I have. I wondered wether the 55gn Vmax may be a bit heavy for the deuce, what is your experience?

Cheers

Dave

... I wondered wether the 55gn Vmax may be a bit heavy for the deuce, what is your experience?

Cheers

Dave

No, the std twist barrels will easily handle these but the case capacity might suggest a lighter projectile for full varmint effect.

My very experienced older gunsmith did a lot with the "Trebly" as they're often called here, and he in fact used to load the stubby 70gr Speers for a mate who used them to great effect on reds. I'm not suggesting the same but certainly a 55 is well within the equation.

Chris-NZ

The most accurate load i have found for my .222 t3 is 23.5grns 133 under a 40 grn v-max,col 2.150.

Twist rate is 1-14.I did try 55grn v-max but could not get them to work at all though it will shoot 55grn speer sp very well indeed.

Sorry cant help you with the powders youve got, but as eldon said H4198 is a stonker of a powder for a 222, im loading 40 v max's for a mate with a factory 222 tikka m590, with a shortened barrel (what i truck gun)

21gr of H4198

with a 40 gr V Max at 2.130

gave me a .15 inch group with 5 rounds, couldnt believe it, thats better than i can get out of my BR at the moment!!!!!

Good luck finding the sweet spot, those 222's can certainly shoot!

Hi Dave,

My experience with 55gr bullets isn't good, i have had no luck finding a good load for them. My rifle loves 40gr Nosler CT's with a passion, the 50gr V-Max shoot well too. I tend to stick to 40gr bullets now though, had good results with the Noslers and Bergers. For some reason the lighter and faster i push a round the smaller my groups get. I would love to find an accurate load for 55gr Bullets though, let me now your findings.

My powder choice is the Ramshot Exterminator, finding it hard to get hold of it now. Vit 130 is my second choice and failing that i go for 133.

My normal load.

Comptarget2.png

Load as above but using Nosler CT's, shame about that one round going high.

Project1-1.png

Berger 40gr Match varmint, with the same load.

DSC00183.jpg

Good luck with it,

Jay.

I'll second (or third) that 4198 praise when used in the .222. For years Warren Page won the US Bench Rest title using 20 grains under a 52 grain bullet. My .222 Winchester M-70 will toss any good 50 grain bullet loaded over this powder into bugholes.

I also find 23.5 of BLC-2 good, as is 23.5 grains of IMR 3031.~Andrew

Thanks for all the kind replies guys. Its given me a real good point to start.

Hopefully I can get a load to shoot in Simons CZ. Looking at things I'll start with the 40 grain bullets.

He only wants a foxing load, so will be happy if we can better the factory ammo he's using.

Thanks again and Happy Xmas

Dave

Archived