Geese Left to Rot

I live in the North East of Scotland and we are fortunate enough up here to have large numbers of Greylag and Pinkfeet Geese who migrate every winter from Scandanavia. In the right place at the right time, it's possible to shoot large bags over decoys, if you're so inclined.

Most responsible Shooters up here, will only shoot as much as they can either eat themselves or give away to friends and family. The local paper reported recently that members of the general public have been finding large bags of geese, as much as 40 birds at a time, left to rot in fields and ditches. This is not a new problem as the same issue came to light last year. Like most of the Locals, we have a good idea who is responsible.

I know full well the damage feeding geese can do to a Farmer's Field but to needlessly slaughter large numbers and dump the carcasses does nothing for the public image of the Sport.

If any members of the Forum are coming up here to shoot geese and do not intend taking the birds home for their table, please use a responsible guide and establish what they do with the dead birds before taking those extra shots.

I went on a farm once and counted 51 rabbits that had been shot and left in a ditch. What a waste, and they were in full view of anyone using the public footpath nearby. Really annoys me.

I know all to well about the problem Mack, wildfowling being my bread and butter shooting it is a pure disgrace to see this sort of total disregard and disrespect to such a beautiful bird which is the wild goose, they fly to far and work to hard in life to be treated as connon fodder, really gets me down to think that people will call themselves wildfowlers (which they are not) and do this sort of thing, especally in your part of the world, young and very hungry geese are coming in from a non stop flight from greenland, to be slaughered over decoys!! :rolleyes:

Wrenchs my guts to think that people will do this!

However we (on wigtown bay) have the same problem with high shooting, its a disgrace to the sport.....

Im gonna stop now as im getting worked up about it, but thats how passionate i am bout these birds and my sport!

this isnt a new thing , i used to drive from glasgow up to the tay to shoot

the estuary , sometimes 10 times a season and a lot of times we never

fired a shot ,one time we were up we had everything in our favour the

weather was blowing a gale the snow was falling the sun was just rising

the geese were coming off right over the top of us we had 9 geese between

us ,when we had a pick up we found another 15 dead geese lying were

they fell all around us we spoke to the nearest farmer who told us the f**king

italians were up the day before with there semi autos and not for the first time

they come up here for the free shooting and slaughter the birds,this all happend

over 15 years ago

cheers tam bb

I agree that it's a waste and not very good for the appearance of shooting to the general public.As it has been said,one should take what is needed and then call it a day.If it's pest/vermin then by all means shoot enough but dispose of carcases wisely.Members of the public don't normally appreciate seeing this sort of thing.I think all responsible hunters/shooters know this-it's trying to get the message over to the others that is harder.You say that you have an idea of who is doing this,can you try and talk to them and or the landowner and enlighten them on the errors of their ways (in a friendly way :rolleyes: )After all its everybodies sport that they are damaging.

Boom Boom, hit the nail on the head. Without pointing the finger, some of the self centred individuals who are involved in this are only interested in making money from paying guns and have no respect for the quarry or anyone else for that matter. There are, off course, responsible Guides, but unfortunately they and Shooter's as a whole, getted tarred with the same brush when story's like these come in to the public domain.

These particular instances have been reported to the local Police but it seems there is little they can do. With the SNP local Government being generally anti-shooting, it won't take much for them to look for excuses to push for legislation to limit bags or at worst, ban the shooting of geese all together.

Just consider how many other time's in the past, the greed of one or two individuals has spoiled it for everyone else.

The type of people who do this sort of thing know its wrong, but they dont give a s**t. Especally goose guides, some of them are stone cold aresh**es they're just in it for the money, which for some unknown reason people are willing to pay (my pesonaly opionin is that shootign geese over decoys inland is like shooting rabbits in a cage)

I also know its been happening for a long time, and its the small minority of arrogant fek wits which pull the whole sport down.

I get it all the time here, the typical scenario, a lad will be sitting right on the back of the marsh popin at anything that goes over him, You ask him how high he thinks they are and the usual responce is "F**K OFF", Thats when i pull out my wardening card :rolleyes:

The type of people who do this sort of thing know its wrong, but they dont give a s**t. Especally goose guides, some of them are stone cold aresh**es they're just in it for the money, which for some unknown reason people are willing to pay (my pesonaly opionin is that shootign geese over decoys inland is like shooting rabbits in a cage)

I also know its been happening for a long time, and its the small minority of arrogant fek wits which pull the whole sport down.

I get it all the time here, the typical scenario, a lad will be sitting right on the back of the marsh popin at anything that goes over him, You ask him how high he thinks they are and the usual responce is "F**K OFF", Thats when i pull out my wardening card :rolleyes:

I am no wildfowler ,i once went with a guide and it was a bad experience even though i informed him i had never shot at geese before that is why i have never botherd again and yes i know all guides arnt like this, I know a couple of lads that go wildfowling and from what i here it is a game of who can shoot the highest goose and who can shoot the most,i know all wildfowlers wont be like this but in my eyes all game and varmints should be shown respect and taken out where you know you WILL ensure a clean shot,and as for all those geese being dumped that is a disgrace and hasnt been done by proper sportsmen (in my opinion)

Foxshot is right and this has been going on in Scotland for nearly 20 yrs, it can only do shooting and wildfowling a great deal of harm.

I personally wont use a guide as their primary concern is to make money ( and the landowners too) the temptation is too great to hammer the geese and make lots of money rather than a bit of sport and reasonable remuneration for services rendered. I know there are a few responsible guides out there but the emphasis is on Few.

It will soon end in tears for sure.

Redfox

I am not a wildfowler and the only geese I have shot were for pest control purposes only. I don't agree with the practice of leaving anything to rot and all I shoot comes to the freezer. However, when, in the past we shot many rabbits, we had the chance to drop them to the game dealer. Same I understand with a lot of commercial shoots and their ducks and pheasants and partridges (although, I am not that naive, I know that some also do burry their shot birds).

Now, the law in the UK prohibits the sale of a wild goose... If this aspect of the law was challenged, would it not improve this situation (i.e. the shot birds would be put to some use rather than being left to rot)?

And, first may cast the stone he who shot enough game, one presented and they did not take the shot or thought, 'another 10 minutes....'

best wishes and Merry Christmas to everyone,

Finman

Hi Finman

This is a sensible view but I suspect if the sale of wild geese were legalised, greed would take over from sport and they would just be slaughtered. If you have geese feeding on a field, it is relatively straight forward but by no means gauranteed to bring them in with decoy's. In the right place at the right time, they will just pile in to the pattern in waves. Because it's such a big big bird, it has trouble making altitude quickly once its committed and the shooting starts. With a number of guns around the pattern you can imagine what the result is.

What the guides do is to scout the area a day or two before their clients arrive. Once they find a field of feeding geese, they will bung the farmer a few quid to shoot them and everyones 'happy'.

Mack

Very poor behaviour and certainly good "anti" fodder. It is every sportsmans duty to see that what they shoot is utilised correctly. It is a criminal offence in the States to waste game in that way! Those responsible should be ashamed of their actions!

This realy dis-heartens me Im a keen fowler and find this totally sickening. Im going to copy and paste this onto the fowling site Im a member of hopefully to stop this from happening. As for guides Im sorry but please dont tar them all with the same brush! Yes there are plenty who dont give a f@@k except for money but there are plenty who are very good and reputible (pardon the spelling). 18 years ago I worked for a guide taking guests out and also taking guests stalking for the chap.Now I can say now I wouldnt have been invovlved with this lad if he was like so many others in it for the money. I dont use guides now as Im fortunate to have decent ground for geese nor am I in any way "tight" with any guides. Back to the point this has got to stop NOW for the sake of field sports.

Hi John

You're right, not all guides are bad and many are responsible people, just trying to make a living. Unfortunately, there is also more than a fair share who just want to make as much money as possible with minimum outlay. I hope I haven't inferred in my posts that all Guides are as bad as each other. This was not my intention.

Regards

Mack

Hi guys, my posts may have seemed to be anti towards guides however i know just as well that many are very good at what the do and do it responsibly, however i still dont feel like i should use a guide, a single or right and left at a sportingly high forshore goose or geese is a far more satifying result than geese over coys! Half the fun of wildfowling is chasing after the geese (its not called a wild goose chase for nothing)!

As regards to the legal side of changin the laws to selling geese, one of the top lads in BASC who i am very good friends with, said thaty under no circumstances would basc allow the law to change and would fight there cause to the end! as the geese would be expolited, as mack said, if you get it right the geese will pour in, in wave after wave, it would be a slaughter!

Greed it a terrible thing, some just cant help themselves!

Guest 222-fox

I work as a full time goose guide and i would never treat geese in this manner i have been goose shooting for many years and have never done this to geese every morning we pack up the geese our clients shoot go in the game lader and the lads take them home at the end of there trip.

We only allow our clients a max of 5 geese each per-morning but take in mind 5 guns will not shot 25 geese every morning they are out it hurts me to see guides getting a bad name like this as people say we are not all the same

It's crazy that the talk of mass slaughter of geese is always up in the north east of scotland where we know there are a couple of well know guides who work on big bags for big rewards from there clients

All i can say on this matter is please dont tar all us goose guides with the same brush

Thank you

Regards

What the guides do is to scout the area a day or two before their clients arrive. Once they find a field of feeding geese, they will bung the farmer a few quid to shoot them and everyones 'happy'.

Mack

Mack, as regards your quotes above.

im not saying all guides are doing this but we have had a nightmare with the odd one trying to come in and shoot your gorund.

its hard enough after all trying to obtain and keep a decent bit o ground then you come down for a flight at the ducks or summit and heres a guide with guests set -up!!!!!...

i know this is happening to other people even when you have the shooting rights drafted uplegally so landowner farmer is in NO postion to tell them to just have a go there!!!.

i know my mate has had a few planned mornings of his own ruined with this

sauer

Archived