Laws and advise on barrels

shrek

I have baught a bog standard remmy 700 and as ive mentioned on other threads the last 4 inch or so from the muzzle is heavily pitted.

However i thought i'll just chop it down and re-crown it, will lose abit of velocity but it'll be a handy truck gun.

My FLO stated to me on another occasion that under no circumstance im i allowed to "cut" a barrel of any kind, which included re-crowing????

Yet some of you guys on here are putting brand new barrels which you have cut and chambered yourselves to actions, and i was planning on doing the same once ive burnt the barrle out on this 700!

Is my FLO just trying to scare me off doing my own work or is it illegal to cut a barrel down, unless you are an RFD holder??

As I understand things you can work on your rifle so long as the barrel length is not reduced to less than 30cm (12")

This includes reducing the barrel length for your purposes and re-crown.

So long as you own the rifle it does not have to be proofed after you have done the work, however, If you sell the rifle to someone else the weapon has to be in proof for it to be legal (for you to sell it)

I am sure others will add to this rather short reply.

Shrek,

The re-proof of your shortened barrel is a bit of a grey area buddy, by shortening, the integrity of your barrel has "NOT" been compromised therefore a re-proff is not theoretically neccessary.

FEO's dont like the idea of us working on our own firearms, you can do whatever you want with your own rifle and dont need to tell anyone, as long as its legal, you dont change calibre and you dont tamperwith or alter the serial number.

Ian

Cheers for clearing that up, i thought as much!

So the next question is, its a 243 win with the factory 22" 1-9/10 twist, if this was shortened to say 16" an re-crowned it would technically still shoot, obviously less velocity but would shortening the barrel have and advesre effects on the rifle itself?

I cant see any, but in only a novice! Honest!

The only thing is you may need to reproove it if you come to sell it. I am amazed that some FEOs are either ignorant of basic facts or are still trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

A

mite just have to get the lathe set up over christmas then :rolleyes:

As for resale, that wont be a problem, the plan is to chop the barrel, use whats left of the "good tube" with a hot load for general fox detonations (62gr varmint grenades could be a laugh)

Burn that barrel out,

Fit a new 26" pipe chambered to 243 Ackley, send for re-proof and then i'll see how i get on with it, its really just a re-barrle project, for when time and funds allow!

Just getting a general idea of the legalities of eveything before i go cutting and shutting :)

There is an FEO like that in this neck of the woods :rolleyes:

Dont we know it, you are aware of the clashes I have had with him. Hopefully we may have educated him but I would not be surprised to find he still is trying it on with others.

A

Archived