On the 13th Day of Xmas!!!!!

6mmBR

Well Saturday turned out to be interesting, supposedly a leasurely drive to drop off some Xmas presents to my mum and dad the other side of Camarthen and then an evening duck flight with Andy.

How plans changed a frantic phone call from Andy just as I was leaving, "sod the shotgun put the rifle in instead"

The turkey farm manager had seen a pair of foxes around the sheds and was worried they may dig in, as these were Marks and Sparks premium turkeys and worth a small fortune ;)

Just to put you lads into perspective they have killed 38000 turkeys so far ;) and the M&S order is for 10000 premium turkeys so thats alot of cash to loose if Charlie gets in the shed.

I spent a pleasant afternoon with the parents and left at dusk to meet up with Andy, the 45 minute drive my mind was filled with thoughts of there can't be that many about after the battering we gave them last weekend with Ray.

By the time I got to the farm Andy had already fuelled up the mule and we loaded the kit on board to set off.

Another beautiful night cold and crisp and interspersed with the odd brilliant shooting star streaking across the sky like a tracer bullet.

Any way the mag was loaded on the Ackley and we rounded the first bend, low and behold, blink, blink, charlie 150 yards away. The cross hairs were centered and a 52gn Berger punched his lights out. Andy laughed there's one for a photo anyway ;) .

Off we went further a field, we saw a fox run, obviously new to the turf as he didn't know the escape route out of the field, got his head stuck in the pig wire trying to get out, the Ackley freed things up for him a bit with a Berger to the back of the head.

We picked up our 3rd running off down the field just stopped for that second to allow me to slip off the shot.

Where the bloody hell are they coming from, we shot another 2 on this circuit of the inner farm bringing the total to 5.

We headed out to the other farm around a mile away but didn't even see a pair of eyes, thats how it should be after shooting 15 the week before, but home farm was ridiculous.

Back we went to the staff room for a chicken chow mein Andy had picked up in town and a cuppa, well deserved after 2 hours in the cold.

Fed and watered back on the mule. Andy thought we'd head back up the outer farm first thinking there had to be something about. But again a blank, thank goodness we'd stopped them somewhere.

Returning to home farm we saw 4 other foxes but they were to lamp shy to get onto, but hey they all f*ck up at sometime or other.

Peering at us from a muck pile was a pair of eyes, a fox curled up getting the warmth from the muck heap, up he went in a spray of fur, blood and chicken that which promotes growth and vigour 52 Bergers going at 4030fps at 60 yards make a big mess :D

Our last run for home spotted another fox on the bank behind the M&S sheds, he was skylined so Andy drove around to make the shot safe and number 7 went into the bag.

We were cold and tired and decided to pack it in at 1 am a bloody good result as Andy and I expected only to pick up a few stragglers. We still could not believe the result another 7 shot and another 4 seen but not got. The draw of this place must be like an oasis to a very thirsty man.

DSCF0902.jpg

Well I expect we'll have to have another crack soon and lets hope the turkeys make it to M&S and not to Charlie.

Watch this space.

Dave

how the hell are you boys still shooting foxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!There couldnt be that many left now, I need to find a turkey farm near me sounds like the right sort of place to be foxing.

ACKLEYFIED !!!!!!!! ;););)

Another nite of having fun :D:D

Had one very very happy farmer on the phone first thing ,as Dave mentioned in his post, these birds that are still in the sheds are big money ,averaging £100+

and there are 10,000 of them ,due to be killed this comming week, if charlie got in there it could be very costly.

In the last 3 trips there we have taken 29foxes , and over 150 in the last 33weeks and there are still more comming to the party.

Hey Andy,it's a good job Wales is well attatched to England mate,cos,if it wasn't,it would snap off under the weight of all of those foxes....................lol...............martin.

Well done lads!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I got your message and am sorry i could not come up for some backup with the PPC!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Missed some chicken chow mien too , or was that turkey chow mien!!!!! :lol:

Great writeup and i was almost back there with you guys again!!!! :D

Nice going and thanks again for the experience Captin!!!!! :D;)

All the best......................

RAY............................. :D;)

Well you guy's , don't be surprised if your foxing exploits carry on for alittle while longer there because the smell of that place will carry for miles and we all know what thats like when we get the smell of good food . Keep it up you guy's i'm sure the returns are going to be good on that farm.

Well done you two

CHEERS

CHRIS :wacko:

well done .a very impressive bag indeed :D foxs are getting very thin on the ground were i shoot as iv shoot them all ,well neally all :wacko:

Thanks for all the replies lads :wacko: . I feel very lucky to be invited along to this farm by Andy and share in all the fun we've had over the last months.

There is an unbelievable number of foxes in this area, I think when we shoot we create a vacuum removing dominant foxes, thus allowing more to move into the vaccant terratory. The smell from this place must travel miles on the wind and be a major draw, pulling foxes into the area with the promise of food. I don't know how long these big bags will last, Andy has only had the shooting for around a year now so it will take a year or so to establish any patterns.

Cheers

Dave

Archived