243 win or 243 AI?

Grouse

Nightwalker,

some interesting points been made on this thread,

i am in the process of getting bits and peices together to build a 243 AI

But i also have a 6mmBR, the BR gets used for everthing, its a rebarrled Tikka 590 (which seems to be a common rifle for this calibre) And i have not had a problem recycling a round whilst at live quarry. On the range as i open the bolt slowly the case often pops off the ejector pin leaving it sitting in the ejection port,

But as martin says these no need to go flingin quality brass about, But in the situation that ive needed the second shot, a quick pull on the bolt (which is normally the case in the heat of the moment) has never failed to eject and recycle another round from the mag.

May i also say, i have shot impressive groups at 800 with the BR with 87gr Vmaxs in strong winds

The only reason im thinking of an AI is to get a heavy 6mm bullet to 1000+, its the big brother of the 6mm calibre (and because ive got .243 on my ticket ad i want a change) not saying it wont be taken foxing as it more than likly will.

But for accuracy which i have seen first hand my 6BR will always come out of the cabinet first, and lets face it. Most live quarry is taken well in before the 300 yard mark, and unless you live on a top of a mountian the effect off the wind to 300 is debatable (ok it has to be taken into consideration...... but were not talking scope adjustment because your lamping partners just farted).

I would recommend you get a 6BR load it with 87 grain HP or V-Max and get on with it, i dont fuss around with case prep, lapua brass straight from the box, ease in a primer, powder slap a bullet in and ive got the easiest .3inch group anyone could ask for!

Easy to tune, far less powder required, not case prep and a god dam accurate little shooter...........................

Go for the 6BR mate :P

Martin good comparison on the wind statistics.

Would you say the outcome in your last post is reasonably typical.

6mm br draws me for the efficient use of powder and if I need more I would use the 308. 30 grains of vit 140 seems to be a regular choice and I already use this in the 308.

Another question, I have a spare slot for 243/6mm. If I see a 243 advertised and buy it using the slot, then get a new barrel fitted and chambered to 6mm br do I need to apply for a variation ? Alternatively should I get the rebarreling shop (presuming they would!) to buy the 243 with my money and then I use the slot when its finished?

Eldon

I think if you baught the rifle, then handed it to your gunsmith who would presumably be an RFD holder the explain to you FLO that the 243 you just baught was getting changed to a 6mmBR, you could then apply for a one for one variation saving you 26 quid.

I thing if there is good communication between you and your FLO on what your doing i cant see a problem!

In an ideal world we could get away with a 6mm br being allowed on a ticket as a .243, as thats really all it is, jus a differet case attatched to the bullet :P !

Guest varmartin

Eldon..

I think it is reasonable to say that any one re barreling a rifle to 6mm BR would not be disappointed, thats tipical !!

The inherent accuracy, frugal use of powder, ease of reloading, long brass life, long barrel life, low recoil , did i say its accuracy.....its a long list :P

And if i want for more stopping power I take the 7.62 as well :D

your last question....as shrek said.

Cheers guys.

Anybody want to sell me a shot out rifle with a 308 bolt face and preferably synthetic stock that would be suitable?

Eldon

I think if you baught the rifle, then handed it to your gunsmith who would presumably be an RFD holder the explain to you FLO that the 243 you just baught was getting changed to a 6mmBR, you could then apply for a one for one variation saving you 26 quid.

I thing if there is good communication between you and your FLO on what your doing i cant see a problem!

In an ideal world we could get away with a 6mm br being allowed on a ticket as a .243, as thats really all it is, jus a differet case attatched to the bullet :D !

It won't happen for me in Northants William. I just got off the phone with my FEO and he said one of my .243's would have to go off my ticket to get one for one variation to rebarrel to 6BR.

My renewal is in and when my FEO made his visit last Wednesday I asked for .22rf barrel and upper and .20TAC barrel and upper to be used for fox/vermin/target on an AR15 platform.

Asked for .243's to become 6mm on my ticket so I could rebarrel one to 6BR when shot out.

I have open ticket [sporting] and target condition on all my rifles: .22rf, .223, 2 x .243, .308.

The result is I can only have one rimfire for vermin, if I want two then one is for target only. The .223 would have to become target only to get .20TAC for target/sporting use. One .243 would have to be parked up at an RFD to get the 6mm change.

I asked if I could make these changes on my ticket so I could gradually go at the projects as time and money allowed over the next few years and to save paperwork in the future, but apparently it's not going to happen.

The only thing they are handing out without a problem is vermin condition on all calibres, I'll be all right to go ratting with the .308 now :P

Upon reflection, I've decided that a head to head battle over this just isn't worth the aggravation, and I'll just put in for the 6BR when I'm ready and leave everything else as it is.

Some may think I'm being a bit weak over this but they don't have to deal with Northants FLO on a regular basis, ask some of the members on here from

Northants.

Happy Christmas to you all.

Pete.

When I applied for the variation I put 243/6mm so I had the option.

When it came back it just states 243. I wonder if a shop would sell me a 6mm br if they had one in stock or not? :rolleyes:

Guest varmartin

Unfortunatly it must state the caliber/parent case on your FAC....so if it says .243 you will not get a 6mmBR.

But....if it says .243 and a .243 Ackley Improved came up for sale...then you can have it !!!

Cheers varmartin for clearing that one. Surely they should have queried it or do they just look at what comes first.

Looks like a one for one is on the cards then to replace the one for one they have just put on.

Double the workload ideal for efficiency.

Archived