6.5X68

Guest Jarvis

Any one had any experience of using the 6.5x68 here in the UK?

I'd like to know if its the barrel burner its claimed to be. If you're hand loading what sort of performance you've been achieving with what powders , heads etc.

Thanx

J

The 68mm case is the basis for two of the most successful wildcat benchrest calibres that have been around for a while - 7mm and 30 cal Boo Boo.

The 6.5x68 RWS is (i think) used quite extensively on chamoix where longer shots are the "norm"

Dont think its anymore of a barrel burner than any other hot 6.5mm, I recall reading recently that it will handle about 2900fps with a 140g bullet, so your in 6.5x284, 6.5-06 and 260AI territory.

Cannot say I have ever shot the standard 6.5mm version, but ive seen a few of the wildcats.

The 6.5X68 has been around for about 70 years and is one of the best 6.5mms ever made. It was known then as the 6.5X68 Schuler.

My friend the late Brett Huthart had one, a Mauser `Diplomat` Model 66 .

He used it on everything from Red Stags to Roe.

Following his demise I sold it to a friend in Ireland who does not re-load or even shoot much.

Firing the 127gr Kegel Spitz [Cone Point] bullet it develops 3150 FPS at the muzzle with an energy of 2795 Foot Pounds.

Recommended sighting-in distance for this bullet is 215 yards !

The 93gr bullet is driven at 3550 FPS, ME 2930 Foot Pounds. Recommended sighting-in distance is 240 yards.

For re-loading I have only one set of data :- 65gr of 4350 powder with a 87gr or similar bullet for 3750 FPS at the muzzle and 2710 FP ME.

I have it`s big brother the 8X68s , a fearsome tool which is NOT pleasant to fire.

HWH.

I looked into it when I was deciding which 6.5 I wanted. I ruled it out on a few niggling factors: brass, action length, barrel-toasting prowess.

If I had enough £ and licencing leverage to enjoy the luxury of experimenting with one, I'd have plumped for it over my final and more conservative choice (6.5x47). The numbers all look very right and it's different enough to have that je ne sais quoi many of us like the sound of.

Thanks guys.

Certainly food for thought. I'm looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. A one rifle fix to all of my shooting needs, and the 6.5X68 looks on paper to have a lot going for it. But I had read it was a barrel burner. 500-1000 rounds tops. Which is not a lot when you take into consideration a bit of load development at either end of the available bullet head weight range and some summer time range fun.

I appreciate your thoughts. Keep them coming.

Thanx

J

Heres another thought;

"Barrels are expendable"

If its what you want and it fits your requirements, go for it, :angry:

Heres another thought;

"Barrels are expendable"

If its what you want and it fits your requirements, go for it, :lol:

£500-£700 might seem like "small beer" to some. But when you're operating on a very limited budget in the first instance having to swap over a barrel every 12-18 months ain't something to be taken on lightly. :angry:

Hence my concerns over the calibres suggested barrel life expectancy. I appreciate compromises have to be made but thats what makes the "pot of gold" search so much fun and frustrating at the same time.

Thanks guys.

Certainly food for thought. I'm looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. A one rifle fix to all of my shooting needs, and the 6.5X68 looks on paper to have a lot going for it. But I had read it was a barrel burner. 500-1000 rounds tops. Which is not a lot when you take into consideration a bit of load development at either end of the available bullet head weight range and some summer time range fun.

I appreciate your thoughts. Keep them coming.

Thanx

J

"one rifle fix to all of my shooting needs"

Go either 260 or 7-08 then..........

If I was only permitted to have ONE rifle for all purposes I would choose the venerable .30/06 .

In a long shooting lifetime I have had 3 of these and shot all deer from Moose to Muntjac with them also many head of furry and feathered vermin.

For re-loading purposes there are more .30 calibre bullets available than any other, it is efficient also easy on the shoulder and pocket.

HWH.

For re-loading I have only one set of data :- 65gr of 4350 powder with a 87gr or similar bullet for 3750 FPS at the muzzle and 2710 FP ME.

HWH

What would the Recommended Sighting in Distance be for this load and what would the Point Blank Range be?

Thanx

J

HWH

What would the Recommended Sighting in Distance be for this load and what would the Point Blank Range be?

Thanx

J

Hi Jarvis. Have a play with jbm ballistics (google it), you can then play with 'point blank ranges' etc to you hearts content. In the real world, I'm afraid to say there not really applicable. If you shoot a light bullet (for that caliber) very fast it will drop little in the first instance, but then the bullet will nearly always have a relatively low B.C. and suffer from the wind and drop at extended ranges etc etc. Its really a marketing term for hunters who don't shoot very far (or very much) and don't have to consider adjusting there scopes etc. Helpful on foxes etc where its night and often hard to judge range quickly and precisely, but not hugely applicable to deer.....

Personally I'd go for a newer 6.5 magnum i.e. a 6.4-284 etc and enjoy the lapua brass and realitive ease of loading.

Jarvis

I apologise if I sounded flippant regarding money - I am fortunate enough in the fact I can do my own barrels, so they cost me only the price of the tube nothing more.

I certainly apreciate how long it takes to save for a new tube from the "names" in the business.

If you want an all rounder with longevity try 308, 260 Rem, 6.5x55 or as Stag suggests the 30-06.....

No such thing in life as a free lunch, all have trade offs, apart from barrel life :D

The 6.5x68 will cost for Brass,,,,,,,

HWH

Thanx

J

I would work on the published result of the 93gr factory loading.

240 yard zero :- 50yds +0.1 inch , 100yds +1.3 in. , 150 yds +1.6 in. , 200yds +1.2 in. , 300yds -2.7 in.

This should take care of any shot at a sensible distance.

HWH.

Hi Jarvis. Have a play with jbm ballistics (google it), you can then play with 'point blank ranges' etc to you hearts content. In the real world, I'm afraid to say there not really applicable. If you shoot a light bullet (for that caliber) very fast it will drop little in the first instance, but then the bullet will nearly always have a relatively low B.C. and suffer from the wind and drop at extended ranges etc etc. Its really a marketing term for hunters who don't shoot very far (or very much) and don't have to consider adjusting there scopes etc. Helpful on foxes etc where its night and often hard to judge range quickly and precisely, but not hugely applicable to deer.....

Personally I'd go for a newer 6.5 magnum i.e. a 6.4-284 etc and enjoy the lapua brass and realitive ease of loading.

Tiff

Thanx for the jbm ballistics tip. I have found PBR data very usefull in the past as it tends to fit in with the distances that I wish to shoot live quarry at. Target shooting for me is a summer fun activity and usually at set and known distances, so the necessity for constaint scope adjustment is minimal.

Am I right in my understanding that the 6.5X284 only really comes into its own from the 140gr mark?

Jarvis

I apologise if I sounded flippant regarding money - I am fortunate enough in the fact I can do my own barrels, so they cost me only the price of the tube nothing more.

I certainly apreciate how long it takes to save for a new tube from the "names" in the business.

If you want an all rounder with longevity try 308, 260 Rem, 6.5x55 or as Stag suggests the 30-06.....

No such thing in life as a free lunch, all have trade offs, apart from barrel life :D

The 6.5x68 will cost for Brass,,,,,,,

Ronin

No need for apologises. I like many others who find themselves with severely restricted finances due to disability or personal circumstance would love the chance to have that amount of disposable income available for what are in reality luxuries. You are indeed fortunate that you have the necessary to chamber and thread your own barrels. The initial outlay must have been considerable though?

As you say theres no such thing in as a free lunch. That why I liken the search for a one gun fix to looking for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I think the 6.5X68 might be close as would be the 260AI. You dont have to whack them up to the top end of the velocity chart to achieve some very acceptable performance figures. It would also mean that any brass would last a while longer especially if the chamber and neck were well machined with reasonably tight tolerances.

Thanx

J

I would work on the published result of the 93gr factory loading.

240 yard zero :- 50yds +0.1 inch , 100yds +1.3 in. , 150 yds +1.6 in. , 200yds +1.2 in. , 300yds -2.7 in.

This should take care of any shot at a sensible distance.

HWH.

HWH

Again thank you for your suggestions.

The figures most certainly look the business at the distances I'd shoot at.

J

I had the oppotunity to shoot one of these a few years ago ,it belonged to a German guy who was over stalking for gold head roe bucks.

He was on an estate that I was thinning a few beasts out for the head stalker,

I think it is otherwise known as the VonHoff Express, rifle was a Hyme set trigger, very flat,very fast using RWS factory ammo.

Its known by a number of different names 6.5x68mmSchüler, 6.5x68mmRWS, and 6.5x68mmVon Hofe Express.

It was designed along with the 8X68 to fit the standard MauserK98 action. Which makes it a very viable budget build project.

There are plenty of excellent K98 actions available, and there are numerous drop in stock options for the K98 action. All it means is sourcing the right barrel at the right price and I'm sorted. I've been recommended to consider fitting a muzzle brake which I'm inclined to do given the fact that I'd like to make the finished rifle as light as responsibly possible. I can't see the point in having 11.5lbs+ hanging on my shoulder and it should tame down the muzzle flash when out lamping. :wub:

Nine locking lugs............!!!!!! A slight case of over engineering wouldn't you say?

I know the 8X68 thumps a bit but its not a Saturn or Blue Streak rocket.

Archived