Remington 700 wood stock problem?

shrek

Hi Guys, ive finnaly got my mits on a very cheap remington 700 that ive had my name on in my local gunshop, didnt really inspect it as i only want to burn the barrle out and then use the action for somthing interesting at a later date.

Its a bog standard remmy 700 light sporter .243, and like most of the rifles that i see in my area its not been treated as it should, the barrle is great at the throat, dont think its seen than many rounds. The bummer is that is been out on somones back in the rain and not had the barrel cleaned before its gone back in the safe. So the last 4 inch or so before the muzzel is abit pitted.

No worries as i only really wanted the action,

The question im asking however is, Were they meant to be a free floating barrle from new, as this one is touching the wood where the frong sling stud is screwed, either the screw has pushed the wood up or waters got in round the stud and swelled the wood up against the barrle, either way it cant be helping how it shoots (maybe the reason why it was in the gunshop cheap!!)

Just abit of info would be great as i dont want to go cutting away berrle channels if its meant to be like that!

Regards

Shrek

Hi Shrek

When I had a woodstocked Remington 700, I had to open up the barrel channel with a file and sandpaper at the same point you are referring too. It was worth the effort, freefloating the barrel made it into a real tackdriver.

Regards

Mack

Hi Guys, ive finnaly got my mits on a very cheap remington 700 that ive had my name on in my local gunshop, didnt really inspect it as i only want to burn the barrle out and then use the action for somthing interesting at a later date.

Its a bog standard remmy 700 light sporter .243, and like most of the rifles that i see in my area its not been treated as it should, the barrle is great at the throat, dont think its seen than many rounds. The bummer is that is been out on somones back in the rain and not had the barrel cleaned before its gone back in the safe. So the last 4 inch or so before the muzzel is abit pitted.

No worries as i only really wanted the action,

The question im asking however is, Were they meant to be a free floating barrle from new, as this one is touching the wood where the frong sling stud is screwed, either the screw has pushed the wood up or waters got in round the stud and swelled the wood up against the barrle, either way it cant be helping how it shoots (maybe the reason why it was in the gunshop cheap!!)

Just abit of info would be great as i dont want to go cutting away berrle channels if its meant to be like that!

Regards

Shrek

Somebody near you must have a 700 in a varmint or H-S precision stock that's free floated. Shoot your wood stock as it is then shoot it out of the free floater, it's only a couple of minutes to do the swap after all. The results should speak for themselves. My choice would be to take the Dremel to it .

Pete.

I have seen some very accurate light weight rifles ruined by removing that pressure pad. I remember a Sako 7mm Remington Mag that shot less than 1.5" with any factory ammo the owner could find, which turned into a 2.5 MOA rifle when that little pad of wood was removed. ~Andrew

I have seen some very accurate light weight rifles ruined by removing that pressure pad. I remember a Sako 7mm Remington Mag that shot less than 1.5" with any factory ammo the owner could find, which turned into a 2.5 MOA rifle when that little pad of wood was removed. ~Andrew

Wouldn't disagree with you on that, but nowadays in the UK most people hang a masive mod on the end which totally alters the amount of pressure imposed on the barrel. A couple of older shooters recently added mods to their rifles and promptly bent my ear about how badly their rifles were then shooting.

Convinced them to remove a bit of wood and bingo they found their rifles grouped better than they had pre mod.

Pete.

I believe in free floating a barrel, the more the better.

Pressure bed means what? a pressure value induced because of the

stiffness of a material that changes with moisture and temperatur. On top of that

the pressure changes depending on where the rifle is rested. Would you rest the rifle barrel

on a branch when taking a shot?? and why wouldn't one do that?

Shrek if you are not sure, I just bought a wooden adl stock that is lying at Dasherman's

If you want to mess around with that one. Feel free. Just have to get it to you.

I better check if he got my letter.

edi

I too have free floated a number of rifles in my time and some have reacted badly as Andrew says.

I had a 700 bdl deluxe in 308 which every body advised "free float it" and it went from just on the inch to 3 inch groups, re did the pad with devcon and it was back to original groups.

It isnt just the wood but the whole stock design and the makers dont just do it for fun, its more work not less. I would forget about all that until your ready to re barrel it then go for a good stock and a suitable custom barrel for what you want to do with it. The existing barrel is toast anyway from what you say.

I know of at least two individuals who shoot std adl/bdl rems with no mods except the triggers and there are few shooters who could live with them on a practical hunting target course. Ronin knows one of them not the other, a lot is in the shooter and experience, true target shooting is different of course and needs top equipment.

Redfox

Cheers for the advise lads, i just went ahead and filed the channle out, started load development thismornin and iv got it shooting under MOA , im happy enough with that from a rusty pitted factory pipe!

Mite just get stuck in and pillar and action bed it just for the fun of it, and as they say practice makes perfect!

For 200 quid its turned out to be a fairly decent rifle! Just need to get a better peice of glass on the top now and it'll be a cracking light stalking rifle!

You are normally right ratty!!

Im sure i also said at on point or another that i would never bring my self as low to have a remmy 700 in along side my prised tikka's in the cabinet, and you said i would give in to the tempation haha!!

Looks like you told me so again!!

Take it easy mate!

Looking forward to seein the rat rifle, in all its glory!

Sometimes l may be right, but you can never call me normal B)

Everyone submits to temptation in the end, it just takes some longer than others. l'll be pulling the Ratrifle out of it's bedding tomorrow then it's got to go for it's paint job :lol: before being shown to all and sundry.

Just a thought mate, there's a Red Rose shoot at Warcop on sat'day don't know at this time if l can make due to sick cover here at work and pals from down country being at our for the weekend. But hey,... give me a nose through the door and l'll be away for the last shoot of the season.......

I too have free floated a number of rifles in my time and some have reacted badly as Andrew says.

I had a 700 bdl deluxe in 308 which every body advised "free float it" and it went from just on the inch to 3 inch groups, re did the pad with devcon and it was back to original groups.

It isnt just the wood but the whole stock design and the makers dont just do it for fun, its more work not less. I would forget about all that until your ready to re barrel it then go for a good stock and a suitable custom barrel for what you want to do with it. The existing barrel is toast anyway from what you say.

I know of at least two individuals who shoot std adl/bdl rems with no mods except the triggers and there are few shooters who could live with them on a practical hunting target course. Ronin knows one of them not the other, a lot is in the shooter and experience, true target shooting is different of course and needs top equipment.

Redfox

I always thought a pressure bed and especially one that could be adjusted could be usefull for target shooting. With a given load one can possibly squeeze out better grouping. Of course groups can increase when a pressure bed is removed, but then one needs to develope a new load or find a more suitable round. I'm absolutely convinced that a well bedded free floating rifle even with a light barrel will hold it's point of impact better than a pressure bedded rifle. Especially in our damp climate, summer to winter. Hunters just can't shoot a little adjuster group right before firing that one shot at a deer. Or to find out how it shoots if rested far up front on something. For me a consistent point of impact is much more important than group size. Once a rifle is consitent one can tune group size.

edi

Archived